Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribbit32004

Carrots

ribbit32004
15 years ago

Are these possibly THE slowest growing vegetables in the world? Actually, they may be surpassed by beets, but I've yet to come to a definitive conclusion.

Comments (10)

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

Well, I have no knowledge of beets, but my carrot sprouts finally broke through the surface after a month. Still no true leaves yet...

• dutchess_9
    15 years ago

It's torture isn't it! One of my favorite veggies and I have to wait soooo long for them! At first, I thought I was doing something wrong...but nope! They are worth it though.

I tried a beet I bought from the store the other day. I did a food survey with my students to see what foods they have eaten and most of them had not tried beets. So I thought it my duty to have them try beets.

I have had pickled beets (which I liked)but not raw. So anyway....I tried them raw and I did NOT like them. I knew my kids would not like them either...so that veggie was not tried...instead I took asparagus for them to try...which some of them liked.

Do you have a good recipe for beets that is yummy?

Here is a link that might be useful: How my garden grows!

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nope. My father used to make borscht, but I never liked it. Beets are purple.

The girl wanted something purple. We now have beets.

She's lost interest already. I still have beets.

I'd replace them with something faster growing, but oh no. Now, it's me versus the beet. I will grow that booger. :)

• organic_tx_gardener
    15 years ago

In my opinion, the best recipe for beets involves the greens rather than the roots. Wash the beet tops and chop - coarse is fine. Saute some onion and/or garlic; then add the beet greens and saute lightly. Add salt and red pepper flakes (or other seasoning) to taste. Add chicken broth, and simmer until soft.

Yummy!

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

My brother cubed the beets and roasted them with some savory seasoning as a side at Thanksgiving last year. First time I had them, but I'd eat them again. There's a reason most of the sugar sold in the US is made from beets.

• holly-2006
    15 years ago

My son likes to chop up beets and mix them with an equal amount of chopped green apple and eat it as a salad.

Yuk.

• posturedoc
    15 years ago

I love beets and have always liked pickled beets. I like to roast them in the oven for an hour or so, depending on the size of the beets. If you like pickled beets, you should like this recipe.

Peel the roasted beets and cut them into 1/2" cubes and toss them with a good extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and celery seed, either whole seeds or ground. I've added other herbs/spices to this basic recipe, but find that keeping it simple is best for a veggie with such an earthy flavor. I give no measured amounts because I think you should add the ingredients to suit your own taste. This salad tastes even better if you allow the flavors to penetrate the beets for a few hours/days before serving.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I only use beets to make Ukrainian Borsche. We love that stuff! These stupid carrots aren't growing at all....I'll grow them in containers from now on.

EG

• medontdo
    15 years ago

i started all of my lettuce, pak choi, onions, leeks, spinach, and i think something else in containers so far. i still have some more leafy things i want to start in containers, i'd LOVE the recipe for the borche if i could?
    ribbit, if your girl want some more purple, let me know, i have a girl who loves purple, and so.... now i have purple tomato seeds, purple cauliflower, purple carrots, and i believe i might still have some red onion someone says' is really a scallion and purple. LOL this will all be in talla's fairy garden, a few of them will be, just for her fairies, the rest will be in our garden, LOL i can share some of the seeds with ya though **big smile**
    i finally think i figured out what is wrong well sorda, with my pc, its A) my video card, and B) everytime i use IE i notice that my laptop stays using alot of cpu, so now i've been using netscape and no problems, heck i wish i'da used it along time ago, its been on here forever!! LOL
    maybe the carrots aren't growing that well because the weather isn't making up its mind and the ground won't stay warm?? just an idea?? ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: barehanded gardener

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MEDO!!! Good to see you again.