Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bad luck with spinach, onions, potatoes

Posted by wardog25 9b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 9:43

I set up my first SFG last fall and had some good luck with peas, strawberries, carrots, and romaine lettuce.

But both my spinach and onions, although I planted many of them, barely did a thing. I saw a few sad plants come up but they never matured and eventually died. What's the deal? Are they not fall plants? Same soil, same water.

Anyway, my potatoes actually grew nicely, but when I harvested them, they were tiny. Smaller than ping pong balls. So that was a little discouraging as well.

Any thoughts on why these didn't do well?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bad luck with spinach, onions, potatoes

For onions, be sure you check with your local extension office to find out what varieties to plant and when. Ask about spinach varieties and planting times while you are talking to them, there may be a regional issue, or you may have had a bum pack of seeds.

So you know, I have had good luck with Swiss Chard (Fordhook Giant in particular) as a warm weather alternate to spinach.

o

I'm in zone 9b and find that chard is much easier to grow than spinach. As for potatoes and onions, your lack of success my be due to growing varieties than need colder winters. The best potatoes for our climate are the small ones. Big russet potatoes need colder soil temperatures than we have in zone 9.

o

Thanks for the thoughts and advice.

Much appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here