Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidyap7

SFG against the house

vidyap7
15 years ago

Hi,

I have a narrow bed against the wall of my house that I want to use for SFG for vegetables. This will be about 18"-2' x 10'. This is the only southern exposure bed I can have in my side yard. A similar size bed on the northern exposure does not yield much vegetables. My backyard (east facing) only gets morning sun because of the trees.

I want to grow peas, beans, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, cucumbers and if possible, okra.

I have a raised bed - but no sides, just the soil mounded up. I will edge the bed when I have more money :)

I would appreciate it if you could answer these questions for me -

1. Where do I build the trellis in this situation? And where do I plant the vegetables in relation to the trellis supports? Do I put the supports 1' from the wall and plant the tomoatoes/beans/peas 6" from the wall - so that it's behind the trellis? Or some other method?

S

W + E

N

---------------------------- Wall

^

:

6"

:

v

x x x x x x Plants

^

:

6"

:

v

========================= Trellis

^

:

6"

:

v

x x x x x x Plants

2. Do I plant the tall plants - tomatoes, beans and peas in the back row and place the peppers, eggplants and cucumbers in front of the trellis?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but thanks in advance for answering these :)

Vidya

PS: Sorry, the spaces don't seem to work, everything is aligned to the left :(

Comments (10)

• vidyap7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oops, my directions are messed up - the wall runs west to east, so, it should be:

N
    W-E
    S

Sorry.

So, I'm planting on the south side of the W-E running wall of my house.

Vidya.

• markdpelhamny
    15 years ago

I have a similar yard arrangement but somewhat more space - I also live in Southern Westchester so I suspect we have similar climates. My beds are 3' deep - front row is low growing plants like lettuce, radishes and carrots. Next row is non-trellised tall plants like peppers and eggplants. The back row, which abuts the house, is trellised plants like beans and tomatoes.

I'm not sure what your measurements are -- 18"-2' x 10'. Is the 18" the depth of the bed? That's quite deep for a raised bed. You should really go ahead and do a three-sided 2x6 or 2x12 bed made of the cheapest lumber you can find (no need for the 4th side since it abuts your house). Home Depot will cut it for you - we're talking $20. I suspect your beds will spill out over time without this and the raised beds look much nicer this way.

That's not much total space, regardless of what SQFT might claim - in my limited experience you really can only fit 2-3 of the larger plants (my middle and back rows) in 4' of space. Since you've got 10' I think 3 tomatoes and three beans are your best bet for yield, or maybe 2 toms, 2 cucs and 2 beans (I do love cucs). In front of them in a staggered pattern do a combination of 6 eggplants and peppers. Look for smaller ("compact") cultivars for the eggplants and peppers. Plant far forward so they can grow outwards and stay clear of the trellised plants behind them.

I'm trying okra this year (I'm a transplanted southerner) - I don't know that much about cultivating it but see the attached URL for a very nice discussion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing okra

• vidyap7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Markdpelhamny,

Thanks for your reply.

The 18"-2' was the width of the bed - it's about 18 - 24" wide :). The depth is about 6".

I would want to grow a max of 2 tomatoes, 2-3 beans, 3-4 peas, 2 cucumbers, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper, 1 or 2 eggplants and 3-4 okra. I've grown these last year, but in a row. The peppers have never done well for me. Beans, okra and eggplant were ok. I had tried peas and cucumber on the northern side which wasn't sunny enough. So, I don't blame them for not producing.

Regarding the 2X6 lumber - how do I fix the sides to make a rectangle - nails/screws? Sorry to sound dumb, but it's my first time doing anything like this outside the house. I could probably try it - I've put up curtains, shelves, etc inside the house by drilling holes in the drywall.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Vidya.

• lilion
    15 years ago

Your trellis should be on the north side. So if the bed is on the south side, and runs east/west, you'd put the trellis against the house.

I think it would be really neat to have a bed against the house. My house is too shady on the south side. But 2x10 is 20 square feet and you can do some stuff there! Draw it out and check the plant spacing guide so you know what to plant where. You may not have room in front of the tomatoes, but I'm sure you can stick something in front of the beans if you grow pole beans up a trellis. Probably the cucumbers too. I've never had luck with peppers in the ground and put them in pots. Have fun!

• vidyap7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alys,

Thanks. I had a question about the trellis suggestion - if I put in pole beans at 8/sqft in one of the squares next to the wall, how should I train them on the trellis which will be at the end? Just wait until it grows taller and then train it backwards? Or should I do some kind of a tepee?

Also, I thought of growing spinach. The seed packet says to thin to about 6" which comes to 4/sq ft. However, the plant spacing on this forum says 9/sq ft for spinach. Which one should I follow?

Similarly with the peas seeds I bought (Pea Burpeeana Early) it says to think to 6" while the spacing here sayss 8/sqft.

Again, thanks for any help.

Vidya

I'm thinking of

• albanach
    15 years ago

To make the bed, go to your local home depot / lowes etc and get one piece of 2"x6'x10' lumber. It'll cost about $7 and one piece of 2x6x8 - it'll cost about $5 per piece I think.

If you are constructing beds, could you extend out by another 1 foot? You'd get an extra 50% that way.

If so, get the second piece cut into two 3' lengths, if not, cut it into 2 x 2' lengths.

Hopefully you have a drill or know someone who does. You'll drill narrow holed (3 at each end) on the face side of the long piece and matching holes on one edge of each of the shorter lengths. Then using wood screws you can connect the pieces. The holes for the screws will prevent the wood splitting.

• lilion
    15 years ago

I have to admit, I don't follow the spacing on green beans. I put my trellis right on the end of the bed and so I plant a single row next to the trellis, each bean about 3" apart, so I get 8 across 2 squares. But then I have more room - another 6" in front of them to plant other things. I put things that might need extra room in the next square or sqeeze in an extra few plants...one row of carrots/lettuce/ etc.

As for spinach and peas, I'd use the spacing it says here. Spinach especially doesn't mind crowding a bit. This is my first year with peas, and I'm using the trellis for them, so I did with them what I do with beans. Hopefully, they'll be done and can be cut off by the time the beans need the trellis!

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

First off, you're fine without sides until you want them.

Go ahead and plant them as close as is suggested here and in the SFG book, most of us plant that close with no problems.

Good luck and enjoy.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Except Granny, who likes to have her spinach and lettuce on 6" spacing so it grows larger. But you're perfectly fine using the closer spacing, it's all a matter of preference.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• vidyap7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All,

Thanks very much for all your suggestions. I appreciate it. I will consider putting in the sides, but am not sure I will. Between work and kids's activities, don't have much time.

Vidya.

Sponsored