Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to plant beets outside

Posted by thatSandygirl 5b Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 10:43

Hi All,

I'm getting back into gardening after a hiatus of about two years. Spent the last few days of gorgeous weather setting up a nice big (4x28') raised bed for SFG, which I've been successful with in the past. It's all gorgeous, fluffy dirt begging to be planted.

I've gone ahead and direct seeded some cool weather crops (lettuce, spinach, turnips). I was about to plant beets, when I noticed that the seed packet said to plant after danger of frost. Is that actually right? I mean, surely the seed company knows when to plant their own product, but I'm almost positive I remember doing early plantings of beets along with turnips...

Does anyone plant theirs out super early?

Thanks!
Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to plant beets outside

Just wanted to add that I'm at 8 weeks before last frost.

Thanks!

o

According to some of my references, you can plant beet seeds up to 6 weeks before last frost date. For me that is May 15. Since we are having insane warm weather here in Rochester, NY, I would go ahead and plant a few. You could always cover them if it gets way below freezing. Some say you can per sprout the seeds, but I haven't had much luck with that.
Keski

o

Thanks, Keski! I did go ahead and put some out there. I figure worst case scenario is I lose nine beet seeds. I'll take the risk!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here