Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
editornj

Feedback on this plan please?

editornj
13 years ago

Hey, all. Wondering if you could provide some thoughts on this plan?

I've never done peas/soybeans before. Not sure how much support I need. Also, will these plants get along?

Thanks so much in advance.:)

Here is a link that might be useful: 2011 WS Draft

Comments (6)

• ribsyhuggins
    13 years ago

needs a lot of work since you did not follow correct square foot spacing rules

• nanagarden
    13 years ago

Editornj, your plan looks pretty good. It looks like you are planting a 4'x8'.
    9 peas per square foot, 4 chard, 9 spinach, 4 lettuce, 1 basil, 9 beets etc.
    I am going to guess that since it appears you are planning 1 tomato per square that you will be using Mel's single stem method on page 159.
    My concern would be that eggplants usually need trellis support. I would move them from the middle of the bed to the side to use with a trellis.
    If this is your first square foot garden it appears that you have a pretty good plan. Happy gardening!

• editornj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I didn't include the # of plants per SF--just assumed it would be Mel's recommendations.

This is my third year but that doesn't seem to be much experience.

Thanks for your thoughts on the tomatoes and eggplants. I haven't pruned tomatoes heavily in the past--do you still get plenty of fruit?

Thanks again. Very excited for spring!

• editornj
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK here's another shot. Ideas? Many thanks. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Another draft of garden layout

• nanagarden
    13 years ago

"I haven't pruned tomatoes heavily in the past--do you still get plenty of fruit?"

You will probably get different answers from others on this question but I believe you get less fruit.

Some people say the tomatoes are larger (with heavy pruning) and the energy of the plant is going towards the production of tomatoes and not leaves and stems. Guess we will see what others think if there are any more posts.

I do like the second draft and it will probably work well.

• gardener_mary
    13 years ago

I grow tomatoes 1 to a sq ft. I do prune to 1 main stem trained up a string. Yes, you get fewer tomatoes per plant but in my opinion I get more per sq ft and I can grow more varieties this way. It has worked well for me.

Good gardening, Mary

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz