Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hez78

SFG Beginner in Houston needs help with soil!

Hez78
11 years ago

Hey everyone - Relatively new SFG'er here.

I had a question about the Mel's Mix (I searched in the previous posts and didn't find one that covered QUITE what I need to know - so I apologize ahead of time if this has been asked already).

I have the SFG book and I have attended a short class on SFG put on by my local nursery.

I know Mel's Mix is 1/3 compost blend, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 peat moss.

I have one SFG bed already that I filled with LadyBug Brand SFG Blend (which is approved by Mel to use). This mix is 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite, and 1/3 coir fiber. (They claim the coir fiber is better for the Houston area because of the humidity).

However, this was VERY pricey (20$ a bag and I used 4 bags). I'm making another bed, and am looking to fill this with a more economical method.

I went to the nursery I attended the class at and the woman there talked me into getting their organic compost blend, which she said was great for SFGing. I bought a few bags of that, and of the vermiculite . I know I still need to get the coir fiber or peat moss. (I can't seem to find the coir fiber anywhere in the south houston area - anyone know where I can get this?)

When I got the bags of compost blend home, I noticed it has washed sand and green sand in it (as well as the different compost types).

So I have a few questions..

1.) Is the sand going to be an issue? (I do plan on mixing the vermiculite in there still, and will be adding the 3rd ingredient whenever I find it)
2.) Where oh where in the H-town area can you get coir fiber?
3.) I know there is some debate on the peat moss, but for those of you in the gulf coast area, how does peat moss work for you? Am I going to be ok if I use it? Would I need to adjust my watering any?

If you've read this far, thanks for the patience. :) I apologize for the length - I just wanted to make sure I gave as much info as possible. And I'm sorry if these are kind of no-brainer questions... I'm trying to learn as much as I can. :)
2.)

Comments (3)

Sponsored