Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shnnn_gw

check my plan

shnnn
15 years ago

I'm a first-time SFGer and am hoping some of you pros can check my plan. I have two 4'x8' beds with a walkway between. Trellis runs one foot in from the north side. I'm especially interested in suggestions for interplanting and succession planting. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: my garden plan

Comments (6)

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

My initial gut reaction to your plan. Others may have more/different comments. :)

First, I love the way you've laid everything out on the ledger page. SOOOO meticulous. I'm a Virgo, and a perfectionist, and even I am envious of your organizational skill! :)

As for the garden itself, I think your tomatoes are too close together unless you're going to be ruthless about pruning their vines and attaching them to the trellis. I grew my last maters on the trellis, and they pretty much took over 8 feet up and 8 feet wide with only 4 mater plants.

You have a LOT of tall plants in your tomato bed. The beans may tend to get lost (or not enough light) being backed up to the maters. However, I worry more about whether you'll be able to reach into the middle of the bed once those peppers, maters and eggplant all get growing well. I suggest using the back two rows of the other bed for some of that tall stuff, especially the eggplant and peppers.

Instead of eggplant and green peppers, I'd plant the carrots and fennel along that row, then basil/chives/ shallots on the front rows. You'll end up with the two back rows being taller stuff, then shorter plants in the front. Doing it as pictured looks good on paper, but makes it tough to reach in the either pick the goodies, or to weed or de-bug if something gets infested.

Good luck, though, you've made a good start. However, if you're like me, you'll end up playing it more by feel once you're actually planting everything. :)

• shnnn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, Lissa! I think I'll need to take some of the tomatoes and eggplants out and grow them in containers.
    I'm sure you're right about playing it by feel...but it sure is fun to play on paper while the weather's still cold.

• shnnn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

anyone else willing to weigh in?

• lowraine
    15 years ago

I am a newbee to square foot gardening. I have been planning my garden site for a couple of months now. I have a 16' x 10' section that is elevated about 4' off the ground. It was an existing driveway that I removed the gravel to get back to top soil. I am now at the stage where I will fill in about 6 to 10 inches of a good soil mixture. I discovered your site last night and was so excited to find someone who could help me along the way. What did we do before the internet?

• Melissa Houser
    15 years ago

lowraine, you need to post your own thread if you want feedback. :)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

shnnn - I've never grown most of the things you're growing. I will say that you'll do better, if you only plant 4 toms (evenly spaced) in those squares.

EG

Sponsored