Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_bee

Ready to start organic garden but overwhelmed....long post.

new_bee
15 years ago

Finally got DH's go-ahead to start a veggie garden (I'm three-months pregnant so really need his help this year. :-) I am butterflies-in-the-stomach excited but also horribly overwhelmed by the prospect. I am a project manager in my work-life so I've listed out the steps I *think* I need to go through. Thanks for taking the time to read and share your thoughts.

1) Have soil tested. We're in a new development and have concerns about backfill being used in our yard.

2) Start compost pile. Posted on the soil forum for suggestions on a "nice looking" composter and composting ideas.

3) Determine square footage needed for a garden. We are currently a family of 3. No clue how much space we will need (or how much energy I will have at 7 & 8 months pregnant, in July and August heat, to maintain my garden.)

3b) Determine appropriate amount of plants to plant per square foot. Again, no clue.

4) Start seeds or find local nurseries. (Am I too late for seeds in Northern Virginia? Should I go with plants this year?)

5) Contact local co-op to determine appropriate planting time and plan accordingly.

6) Determine best place for a garden. While fenced in, my yard backs to woods so deer are a HUGE issue.

7) Order dirt to fill-in raised bed and amend soil. Suggestions on organic sources?

8) Frame out raised bed, although I want it almost at ground level. No clue what building materials to use. Want it to look attractive (darn HOA) but do not want to use any chemically treated wood.

9) Etch out veggie garden spot and either rent tilling machine or buy DH new pitchfork. Make hubby his favorite dinner for a week straight.

1. Plant veggies at appropriate time and mulch (can I just use wood mulch like we use for flower beds?)
  2. Weed, water, weed, water, etc...
  3. Eat veggies in 6-8 weeks. :-D

Comments (5)

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

You can eliminate a lot of your work by just by putting weed block under the boxes and filling them appropriately..

I'd go with plants this year. It will take osome of the pressure off.

• gardener_sandy
    15 years ago

If you haven't read Square Foot Gardening, you will get a valuable amount of information from it. Your library might have a copy or you can get it from most book stores or online book sellers. Even if you don't follow the exact plan, it's a good education in gardening and will help with plant spacing and many other topics.

As a beginner, I would suggest that you start with one or two 4x4' beds. Yes, square foot gardening is much less labor intensive (not THAT kind of labor!) but by mid summer even that much garden space takes a bit of work and getting family members to do work that you took on is often not easy. It's best to start small with something you can be successful with rather than having more than you can handle.

The beds should be located in the sunniest spot in your yard. Most vegetables need 6-8 hours of sun a day or they won't produce well at all. Some, like tomatoes, may make beautiful plants with no fruit on them if they don't get enough sun. And convenience to a water source is a great help, also.

The so-called topsoil in most new developments is a very thin layer of a poor excuse for the name "soil" so it's a good idea to go with a raised bed and use Mel's mix or a decent combination of organic matter and purchased topsoil. Ribbit's suggestion of using weed block is a good one. A thick layer of newspapers or a layer of corrugated cardboard under the planting soil will be very helpful in keeping down the weeds. Hardwood mulch is fine but keep it pulled a few inches away from the stems of the plants.

I use untreated boards but if you want to spend the money and time, then you can use blocks, bricks, stone, or anything else that pleases your eye. HOAs can be a pain.

There's an excellent section on this forum for frequently asked questions. There's a link at the bottom of this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ

• carsonsig
    15 years ago

First,Â.. CHILL!!! I can feel your stress from hereÂ.

If you are expecting, I would start out slow like a 4x8 bed, or 2x6Â.
    1) Have soil tested. We're in a new development and have concerns about backfill being used in our yard.
    For get thisÂ. You are using mels mix!

2) Start compost pile. Posted on the soil forum for suggestions on a "nice looking" composter and composting ideas.
    This wont be rocking for 6 months is it a priority right now, with a baby on the way?

3) Determine square footage needed for a garden. We are currently a family of 3. No clue how much space we will need (or how much energy I will have at 7 & 8 months pregnant, in July and August heat, to maintain my garden.)
    exactly, start small better to expand later than be overwhelmed and fail or quit!!!

3b) Determine appropriate amount of plants to plant per square foot. Again, no clue.
    The faq shows this, or read the new SFG book, check your local library!

4) Start seeds or find local nurseries. (Am I too late for seeds in Northern Virginia? Should I go with plants this year?)
    5) Contact local co-op to determine appropriate planting time and plan accordingly.
    For both of these, look on your local extension or master gardeners site, most will have a chart that shows you when to sow seed or plant starts!

6) Determine best place for a garden. While fenced in, my yard backs to woods so deer are a HUGE issue.
    Someplace close to the house I would thinkÂ.

7) Order dirt to fill-in raised bed and amend soil. Suggestions on organic sources?
    Your local garden centerÂ3 dif composts, vermiculite and peat moss donÂt worry about the soil under.. it is moot.

8) Frame out raised bed, although I want it almost at ground level. No clue what building materials to use. Want it to look attractive (darn HOA) but do not want to use any chemically treated wood.
    Home depot has rough cut 2"x12" by 8 foot boards in garden by the masonry stuff and arbor walls, they look nice enough, use interior simpson strong tie corners and screws makes a 2x 6.5

1. Etch out veggie garden spot and either rent tilling machine or buy DH new pitchfork. Make hubby his favorite dinner for a week straight.
      With mels mix, you donÂt have to do any of thatÂ. Maybe work the ground under the bed for good drainage a bit, but no tiller needed

2. Plant veggies at appropriate time and mulch (can I just use wood mulch like we use for flower beds?)
      with raised beds, mulching is mostly just for water retention, weeds are WAY less of an issueÂ

3. Weed, water, weed, water, etc...

4. Eat veggies in 6-8 weeks. :-D
      hells yesÂ.

I think you should read SFGÂ. It answers allot of your questions in depth especially the spacing, and the internet is your friend for local planting time.

• new_bee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I am going to read, read and read some more. I am just really excited (been bugging DH about this for years) and not really that stressed out .... trying to be methodical 'cause as they say, time is of the essence. I also need to focus on something to take my mind off morning sickness. :-D

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

All good advise. Stick with easily grown veggies that you like, buy veggies such as tomatoes, broccoli and peppers from the nursery, but use seeds for beans, carrots, lettuce, etc. Don't plant more than you can comfortably care for...use this year as a learning experience, and next year you can add more beds, more veggies, and feel secure that you know what you are doing. Don't sweat it...gardening should be fun and relaxing, not stressful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor