Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_houser

Starting Over

Melissa Houser
15 years ago

I've been rather quiet here lately because of personal issues. Most of those are resolved now, so I'm back to important things! :)

Here are pics of my new SFG, which I literally built and planted in the last few days. One of the boxes needs more soil, and all of my starts are store-bought, but I get to keep my hands in the dirt, which is what counts the most.

Comments (11)

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

Looks good Lissa. Enjoy your garden.

Kym

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Lissa (with two esses, as opposed to Liisa with "ii"), you are really going to enjoy having that garden right next to your patio! That's where I'd have mine again, if I hadn't bought two little garden digging dogs last year!

Too bad we aren't neighbors. I grew enough seedlings for all of us here on SFG, I think ;-)

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• Melissa Houser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny, I debated putting it there (right by the front porch) or putting it out back beside the privacy fence. The front porch won because I love watching my garden grow! :)

I'm mad about leaving my old garden behind..and my hubby isn't taking care of it! :( I wish I could have figured a way to bring it with me.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Lissa -welcome back! I remember that you were moving a while back, and thought you had figured out a way to move your garden beds. They were the ones that were on legs, right?

Also, can you answer a sweet potato question? Did you pay any attention to which end of the potato you suspended in water, when making your slips last year?

EG

• Melissa Houser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

EG, I put the end that had a rougher look to it in the water. If I remember correctly, mine had some tiny root-like protrusions from that end...and I did get some sweet potatoes from them, however the dogs dug up most of the ones I planted in the ground.

And, yes, mine was the garden on legs. I couldn't move it because the ground under my old garden had a sink hole last year and I was afraid we'd lose the truck and make a new sink hole if we put something that heavy back there.

Oh well, time to work on the new garden instead of regretting the old one. :)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Sink hole? Crap....Oh well, looks like you have a good start on a new one. I understand what you explained about the sweet potato. sb said the same thing. Cool, now I know which end to put in the water! Thanks!

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Keep the top 1/3 of the potato exposed by placing toothpicks into the sides. The pointed end should be down in the water.

Granny....who put the pointy side up and the whole thing just rotted :-( Man, did it ever stink!

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Looking great Lissa! This garden will serve you well. Hang in there and make the best out of what you have! Welcome back.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

Lovely!

• shnnn
    15 years ago

I'm glad to see you're going with what looks like pine 1x8s. I did so too, then regretted not going with 2x8s, so I'm happy to have company in my choice! I figure by the time they fall apart I'll be ready for some of those fancy cedar ones.

• Melissa Houser
    Original Author
    15 years ago

shnnn, Pine 1x8's were my first choice, both because they aren't pressure treated and because they were cheap and easy to work with. Even I can cut through a 1x8 if necessary with a hand saw. :)

Sponsored