Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush beans per person?

Posted by joe51 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 12:16

I am going to try some bush beans this year and need to know how many to plant per person on average. I am just returning to sfg after many years of the "other" way and have lost my notes. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush beans per person?

I would plant 10 plants per person every month from the date the soil is warm till 2 months before frost. You might want to split the plantings and plant 5 every 2 weeks for a ongoing harvest.

o

Daylily's house must be one full of bean lovers! We don't like them that much and our house of 3 1/2 will do 4/person starting very soon, then 2 more/person in succession. We can ~1/2 and use later, so we might not be typical & like edamame at least as well.

Dan

o

So after a month you pull them up and do it all over again?

o

After they're exhausted you cut them off at ground level and throw the tops into the compost pile. Hopefully they have N-fixing nodules on their roots by then and you want those in the soil.

Dan

o

jengc, it takes longer than a month for them to produce & finish. If you plant monthly, you'll get a longer harvest as bush beans produce for a few weeks then are done.

I usually slightly stagger plantings but I like that the bush beans produce the bulk of the crop in a shorter time as I like to freeze them. I'd rather pick a whole bunch & freeze than have to save them up until I have enough to process. I plant quite a lot of beans, they're probably the reason I ever planted a garden in the first place.

o

I planted out the first early peas yesterday, leaving a little room on that short trellis to plant more in two weeks to stagger that crop. I'll do another spot in a week or so and stagger that short trellis as well. Beans we'll start closer to Mother's Day depending on El Nio.

Dan

o

Bush beans can produce a good amount over the season. Out of about 100 bush bean plants, we harvested almost 56 pounds of green beans. We have at least a dozen gallon-sized freezer bags full of beans and still have some left that are slowly being used. Probably will have enough until we start getting more in the late spring/early summer.

Some of our beans produced for several months - not just a few weeks or a month. We used the Bush Blue Lake 274 and Bush Blue Lake 47 varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here