Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting times * New to SFG

Posted by sethinalbany 5 ny (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 12:27

Hi everyone, I have been reading your forums all winter and it has finally thawed enough in Albany, NY for me to set up my first 4 x 4 SFG box this weekend. The forecast is highs in the 40's and 50's with lows hovering around freezing the next week, so I was thinking it might be OK to get a jump on some of the seeds that say "plant as soon as the soil can be worked." The soil in the area of my box is thawed at least 4-5" and should thaw more this week.

I was hoping to get some advice on this timing because I have read that if you plant certain things too early you get lower yields. The Farmer's almanac website pretty much indicates planting spring crops in May in my area but I don't think this is right. I kind of already started planting but I am concerned that I'm not doing this the best way possible, so I'll tell you what I am doing and please chime in with advice!

Spring 4 x 4 box:
- Snap Peas - Cascadia (3 squares, using Mel's conduit trellis w/ net)
- Carrots - Yellowstone (2 squares)
- Lettuce - red leaf (2 sq) & romaine (1 sq) - pre sprouting on paper towel
- Swiss Chard (2 squares) - pre-sprouting on paper towel
- Radish (2 squares)
- Onion - Bunching (2 squares)
- Spinach (2 squares)

I have squirrels and rabbits in my yard so I built a 2' high chicken wire box top to put on top. This should keep them from digging up the peas which I hear squirrels crave.

I figure once the peas are 12-24" high I will need to set up my trellis and either fashion another smaller lid for the rest of the box, and/or try to repel the squirrels (I was thinking of scattering some nets of human hair).

I covered the top with clear plastic for now while I wait for the floating row cover I ordered to arrive. With the weather being in the 50's I think that's cool enough not to overheat. I think that should be OK as long as I water every couple days, right?

Any thoughts and help appreciated!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting times * New to SFG

You may be better off removing the clear plastic. When the conditions are right, the seeds will sprout on there own. The row covers after sprouting, is probably a good idea.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

o
RE: Planting times * New to SFG

I'd keep the plastic on during the day and gather the sides up for air circulation...then overnight cover fully?

The seeds probably need some moisture, but not a soaking wet? Get too wet and cold and they will damp off? Not sure.

I started lettuce last year outside towards the end of April in zone 5.

Found a packet of Mesclun Gormet Greens Mixture seeds (Ferry-Morse)...an assortment of kale...lettuces...endive...arugula. Last year I was eating lettuce like a rabbit...this year the rabbit goes to Paris on vacation. ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here