Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering my SFG

Posted by ming001 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 12:49

I wasn't sure where this was best placed but I have already read through many of the threads and didn't see anyone who had tried just using PVC pipes.

Essentially I am thinking of using a garden hose connected to a piece of PVC that splits at the edge of the box into 2 capped pieces that run the length of the box. The long pieces will have holes drilled into them at intervals (still being worked out).

Essentially, it's a soaker hose concept but without having to worry about winding the hose around box and keeping it stable.

Has anyone tried this? It sounds like it would work on paper but not sure how in real life.

We have built the pipe assembly but need to drill the holes (any input on how large or how spaced?) and then turn the hose on. Since it's pouring today it will be tomorrow before we get around to testing it (and building a fence and trellis!).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering my SFG

I would hook it up drip style with the soaker or emmitter in line hoses... I think holes in PVC might be very unexact in their water delivery

o

I would be concerned that much more water would come out of the holes nearer the hose than the far end.

o

i agree too a ddrip system would be easier especially with a timer for early am waterings,so things would be dried off to control fungus problems.

o

I guess we'll see. This will have a timer on it like it would with a soaker hose. The Drip systems seemed expensive and a big deal to set up but I can always go back to it.

o

There is a poor man's solution--poke tiny holes in a plastic soft drink bottle and fill it with water and set in as needed to effectively water each square. A bit labor intensive but it works--and it is recycling.

o

I'm with vatikan111, but I'm trying clay instead of plastic. Traditionally, ollas are unglazed clay pots that you bury in the ground near the roots of your plants. You fill the pots with water as needed - once or twice a week - and they seep water through the clay walls into the soil as the soil dries. I put a link to a more thorough explanation and demonstration. Instead of buying them premade, I made several ollas from sets of two 6" terracotta pots that I siliconed together: caulked up the hole in the bottom of a pot, put a bead of caulk around the rim of the pot, and put a second upside-down pot on top so that the rims of the two pots joined together with the caulk, making a diamond-shaped olla. I left the second pot's hole open so I could fill it with water. Total cost was about $25 for 10 ollas.
This is my first year trying them so I can't be sure about the results. I'd love to know if anyone else has used them. I have 10 ollas for a 4'x10' raised bed, each hold not quite 2 gallons of water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using ollas for irrigation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here