Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

I need help with math!

I posted this on the vegetable gardening forum, however I didn't know if it was the best place to post this topic. So I'm posting the thread here.

I do container gardening so when a planting guideline says 'for enough for 4 people you need to grow a 15 foot row' this makes no sense! This is because you don't use

row spacing for container gardening. Basically what I need to know is when something says with a planting guideline, 'plant a row this long' how many plants can be grown in that space; that is essentially how many plants are equal to the planting guideline given with the row spacing.

My main questions about this are in regards to root vegetables and beans. The planting guidelines given for how much to plant are normally 'you plant a row this long'.

I realize what is listed below is a general guideline, but for now this will suffice. I'm only growing for 2 people, and I'm guessing since I'm growing for double the amount of people, I will have some leftover for storage (freezing mostly).

Here is something I found with a planting guideline online that explains what I'm talking about....

Lettuce-a 10' row

Bush beans-a 15' row

Greens-a 10' row (I'm going to guess this is referring to just about any leafy green thing.....asian greens, spinach, chard, arugula, etc.)

Radishes-a 5' row (successive plantings)

Carrots, turnips, and beets-a 10' row

I realize that one thing I could do is convert the feet to inches, then using the plant spacing divide the plant spacing into the converted inch measurement, and the quotient would be how many plants to grow. However when I did this, it seemed like a very large number that seemed off.

An example of what I'm talking about is below....

beans; 15 feet x 12"=180 inches; plant spacing per bush bean plant.....3"; 180 divided by 3=60 plants.

Comments (2)