Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brownli

Det/Indet Toms - trellis/cages?

brownli
15 years ago

I have planted a few indeterminate toms to be trellised and 'for now' have no questions on these toms.

But...I have also planted 3 det. type toms and am now fretting over how to manage these as they grow. I've planted one per sf without regard to any spacing/depth requirements for cage/staking. Additionally, my boxes have bottoms so I'm not able to 'secure' any structure within the soil in the boxes. That said, my bush toms are on the outer squares so I have the capability of securing something to the outer box or ground.

In poking around online (gardenweb), I've found options of a spiral type pole, a florida weave rig and then of course an abundance of cage options. My concern on the cage is that I have no way to secure it within the box, and my cage would have to be really small at 12" diam - actually a bit less.

So I guess I'm looking for advice on what could work to cage, trellis, tie, suspend - whatever - with these determinate toms.

Any help/advice will be so appreciated - and apologies if this info is right under my nose and missed.

Comment (1)

Sponsored