Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jleiwig

Total Failure

jleiwig
15 years ago

Well..so far every seed I've planted has been a total failure. I had 5 of 8 cole crop seeds come up, but they died when my heatmat thermostat got bumped up somehow. Last weekend I planted all my tomato, herb and pepper seeds and very few have come up so far. This is turning out to be a very expensive failure!

Comments (13)

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Bummer....I think all of us are experiencing a few problems, but hey - it's fun learning!

EG

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I had 100% germination with my first batch of tomatoes, the ones I planted 4 weeks too soon. Probably 80% germination on the peppers. I'm hoping my big planting, which has taken place over the past two days, is nearly as high. I'm not liking the feel of the soil (soil-less) that I bought this time as well as that first seed starting mix. I hope it performs as well. I'm also concerned I might get sprouting before I get a light system set up.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

I made a box out of scrap wood and painted the inside white, no lid. It is big enuf for 2 trays. I hang two lights from the ceiling and cover them and the box with old white towels. No heat mat.

It gets about 78º-ish in the box from the lights' waste heat and not much higher, so far I've had 94% germination on toms, peps. tomatillos, eggplant and ornamental millet (which is killing my % rate). I get my trays from the nursery. My expenses are the domes that cover the trays, seed starting mix, peat and plastic pots, and seeds. I haven't calculated the energy cost yet.

Sorry to hear about the failures, sounds like technology! In a couple seasons you'll get the hang of it and your food cost will go way down and your gardening bragging will go way up, hopefully the neighbors won't tune you out (not that I know anything about that...jus' sayin' ;o) ).

Dan

• brookhaven
    15 years ago

My pepper seeds took 12-17 days to emerge at ~68 degrees with about a 95% germination rate. A few came up and then a few days latter a few more and then a few more the next few days. Just give em some time I think.

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

None of my first pepper seeds ever germinated. I waited 2.5 weeks, scrapped those and started over. This batch has been better, and about 75% finally came up. Once they sprouted, I've managed to not kill them (yet) :)

I had much better success with my tomatoes and flowers. It was just a day or two before they sprouted.

Hang in there, and give it another try.

Kym

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I tossed my seed starting mix back into the bag after my first try at peppers (saved from 2 store-bought) didn't sprout after nearly a month. The next time I took mix from the bag, there were 3 little sprouts :-( I had thought the seeds weren't viable, and had thrown them all away.

Of the six pepper seeds I planted from purchased seed, five sprouted in 11 days. These were covered with a dome and set on a heating pad. The temperature held at a steady 80F.

I also tried pre-sprouting some of the purchased seeds. Although they did sprout (4 of 6) they never did catch up in size with the ones seeded in pots. I won't pre-sprout from now on.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• solarity
    15 years ago

So far I've got one tomato that hasn't germinated and I've planted more seeds and still no sign. I accidentally killed some of my peppers after they germinated (I think I let it get too hot). Everything else is ok though so crossing my fingers. Its a learning experience right?

I've also got this white powder on the outside of my peat pots. I'm not sure what to make of it, so far it doesn't seem to be bothering anything....

• bsntech
    15 years ago

I planted three each of the following a week ago today:

Carrot (none sprouted so far)
    Broccoli (2 sprouted so far)
    Cauliflower (1 sprouted so far)
    Bush green bean (none sprouted so far)
    Radish (all three sprouted)
    Pepper (none sprouted so far)
    Lettuce (all three sprouted)

I don't use a heating pad or anything, but the house is at about 59 degrees during the night then warms up between 62 - 64 degrees during the day (hey, gotta save money on the gas bills!)

I just planted 10 each of broccoli and cauliflower today - and will plant 10 pepper tomorrow - the garden will have 8 of each so I want to (hopefully) ensure I get that many out of 13 plantings total.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Sorry to hear it J

Try again. Definitely. Oopsies happen and are correctible next time. And you have time.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I think what I need to build is an "automatic slapping machine", that will constantly monitor the moisture level of the soil in the cups - then give me a good public slapping if I try to water them unnecessarily. That's been my biggest problem with the seedlings in the chamber, too much water. Oops! Hey! I felt sorry for the little fellers.....

EG

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I peeked under the plastic in the garden today (I'll really get to look soon, maybe even take it off during the next few days). Seems like the seedlings I started in the "soil" mix in the egg cartons are doing much better than the paper towel sprouted ones. I did make some changes to the way I planted them though.

I'm using my digital cable box as a seed starter (heat source).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

jleiwig, I completely understand. I've lost three broccoli, four cauliflower, two spinaches, and a whole mess of peas already to root maggots. Last year I only got one zucchini and a handfull of cherry tomatoes to show for my efforts and now I feel I've expanded my garden only to invite more bugs to the party and increase my chance of failure. It's just disapointing, isn't it. However, even if your seeds don't germinate, you can make an expensive hobby even more so and go get some transplants from your garden center.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

How about try wintersowing some of the seeds so at least you won't have a total failure?
    I'm far too sloppy & forgetful to grow seeds under lights, but I have lettuce, turnip, pak choi, and brocolli rabe sprouting in milk jugs on the deck now, and jugs with tomato & herb seeds in them too. It's so cool to be able to plant them and (temporarily) forget them.

Here is a link that might be useful: wintersowing forum

Sponsored