Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattbgrays

Sowing seeds: How much water?

Matthew Grayson
10 years ago

This is my first year using drip in the raised bed I just built.

I have my bed on a 12" drip. The soil is a compost mix from Whittier Fertilizer and I'm wondering how long/often most people water while they're waiting for seeds to germinate. I've sewn collards, chard, cilantro, garlic chives, yu choy and gai lan.

I assume when plants are grown up a bit, you can do something like 90 minutes every other day (every day in the hot/dry SoCal summer). I imagine the water from each emitter emanates out like a cone as the soil soaks up the water. This is fine for plants with roots that can reach the cones, but with 12" spacing there seem to be lots of dry gaps up at the soil surface. If I go an inch down I find moisture.

I should mention that after 7-10 days I'm seeing sprouts, but I'm just wary that there are dry spots and those areas look less successful.

I've since changed to 30 minutes of water every 6 hours. Not sure if that's helping.

Do you water more often when sowing seeds?
Do you manually water with a gentle spray?

Would love to here if I'm doing anything wrong and what you all do.

Thanks!
Matt

Comments (4)

• Matthew Grayson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

(Bump)

Anybody have experience to share?

Thank you

• soughtseven1035
    10 years ago

I am not sure how to use a drip system. I believe that a drip system is not really needed unless you have tons of crops to water. If that is so, it depends on how much water comes out at a time.

The water needs to reach underneath the roots so that the roots can crawl to reach it. If the water is just on the surface, the roots will come up to the surface to drink. This doesn't produce healthy plants.

For new seeds in the ground, I usually hand-water each spot like once a week. I really soak it, but not too much. Once they start sprouting, I just go to each one and give it water. I then pick out the weak ones.

I hope I didn't confuse you too much. Basically, new seeds need to have a uniform wetness to the soil. Don't make it too wet though or too dry. Stick your finger down and see how deep the wetness goes. If it is still at an inch or two, you are good. Only when the top soil gets dry do I water my seedlings.

This year almost all of my seedlings rose up. I had them in a plastic moisture tent though to hold the water in. When I sow seeds outdoors, I use the method using my finger. Good luck.

• elight
    10 years ago

I have had the same exact dilemma this year. I am doing raised beds/square foot gardening for the first time (previously, just self-watering containers). I set up a drip irrigation system, with one .5 gph dripper in the center of each square. The water coverage seems to be erratic - some square have not sprouted anything at all, while the neighboring square, with the same exact seeds planted in it, has sprouted just fine. I've also already lost my young cucumber plants for reasons I can only attribute to lack of water. Unfortunately, my plot is in a community garden that I can only get to once a week. Like you, I have gone from watering once a day, to twice, and now to four times. I hate to waste water, but hate more to waste my plants.

I think the ideal thing is to manually water until the plants have matured a little. We know that the drippers spread moisture cononically down into the soil, and my belief is that, until the roots have grown deeper and wider, they won't meet up with that area of moisture (unless the dripper is right on top of them). I think ideally, one would water manually until the plants have matured a bit.

That being said, my lettuce, chard, beets and carrots seem to the doing well. My peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers need help. I will soon add some additional drippers into the system to provide water directly on top of their roots.

• Matthew Grayson
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Elight, I'm also making the switch from containers to raised bed this year.
    I don't think increasing my irrigation frequency made much of a difference to the coverage area.
    10 days after sowing I only saw germination near the emitters but a week later almost all spots have germinated.
    After my OP I began hand watering every few days on top of drip every 2 days for 90 mins and that did the trick. It's already in the 70s to 80s and sunny here. If I go down an inch the moisture is nice and even.

The pattern I used is a bit different than yours though and I believe it gives more coverage. See image. Imagine drawing a circle around each emitter. If the emitters are in a grid you'll have dry spots in the spandrels. Ideally the circles are staggered and nested. I think that's the point of the wavy pattern I did. I just followed the dripworks website.

Since you only have weekly access maybe you hand water and lay down a moisture barrier like soughtseven mentioned.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022