Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carroteggs

My raised garden bed is built! :)

carroteggs
15 years ago

Here are some pictures of my new raised garden bed...Yeah! I'm so glad my hubby and I finally got it built. Thanks to all who gave me advice (and whose questions/answers I read for reference). A link to my album is below.

I do have a question about my makeshift trellis though.... I have two Charentais melons growing at the base of it. Will the trellis be able to hold both plants, or do I need to just pick out the weaker looking one? I was planning to add supports to the wire when they start producing fruit and the wire looks like it is bending too much. Is 1sqft okay since they are growing vertically? or does it need 2sq.ft? Thank you! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my pictures on Photobucket

Comments (12)

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Without a frame around that wire fence section, it will not hold even one vine.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• peel
    15 years ago

But it looks like it's attached to the fence at the top, isn't it?

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes it is attached to the fence with 'fence staples' that we hammered in.

• carsonsig
    15 years ago

it will likely droop.... but shouldnt collapse if it is attached at the top...

why did you deck in the bottom? seems like a waste of wood.?

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, we took down part of our fence and instead of breaking down the gate, I used that as my base...made measuring a whole lot easier. So in the picture you're seeing the front of the gate. I would have preferred to use that side down to make it more level, but my hubby wanted to use that side up to bolt the 4x4s into it easier.

In case it droopes, I was thinking of attaching conduit pipe in a triangle shape to both sides and possibly the middle. Then I could just zip tie the mesh to it.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

It looks great, I got my bit of earth tilled for the first time today and hope to be putting my own pics up soon. :) I'm thrilled for you.

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

floodthelast: Thanks! I can hardly wait to see your pictures. Everyone does their garden a little bit different so it's fun to see what they do and get ideas. Good luck to you! :)

Although looking back now, I will definitely be putting up supports for my wire fence once the plants get climbing.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Carroteggs, that looks like the same wire mesh used on mine, with the 2" x 3" openings. Am I right?
    As far as the mesh sagging goes...it probably will sag, if enough melons hang from it. There's lots of things you can do to make it more rigid, if you'd like, though. Let me know if I can help.

EG

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey EG,
    I think the mesh openings are 2"x4" 14 gauge wire. It is 6'x4', but we had to bend it a little bit near the top of fence to make it easier to nail it to the fence. What do you suggest to make it stronger? I'm trying to avoid putting more screws into the box since the 4x4s cracked when we were putting it together.

• luke3026
    15 years ago

It's a good idea to predrill the holes where the screws go in to help keep the wood from splitting.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Like Luke mentioned, it is best to predrill your holes to keep the wood from splitting.

Have you thought about taking a couple pieces of 1" pvc, and bowing them - so that they will fit under the mesh? You could use tiewraps to fasten them to the mesh, and anchor the 2 ends to the box, and fence. That would strengthen it.

EG

• carroteggs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good idea about the PVC pipe, sure seems easier than trying to use conduit pipe. And yes, we pre-drilled all our holes. I guess maybe the screws made it worse as there was some splitting when he cut them initially. The PVC securing will be my project next week, after I find a place for all my seedlings...me think I started way too many :)-Thanks EG

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz