Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anthonyjames_gw

Layout Designs

anthonyjames
15 years ago

I lost my book in a move and started sqft gardening last year. I was looking through the site for layout designs and ideas. Not having luck.

I will have approx. 3, 4 x 8 beds, 3 2 x 4 beds, 1 2 x 2 and 1 4 x 4.

I get southern sun all day.

Any help would be great.

Comments (4)

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

It's more about what you want to grow that what others have done. This isn't a copycat type thing. Pick the veggies you love to eat, how many you want to grow and then plop them in the ground smallest to biggest.

• ajpa
    15 years ago

How lucky you are to have space for many plots with southern exposure. That's great!
    You could group similar types together in beds to make it easier to rotate them in the next season.
    All the lettuces/broccolis/etc in one bed. All the podded veggies in another, all tomatoes in another, etc.
    If you want to grow perennials like asparagus or strawberries, set aside a permanent bed for each of them.
    If you mean ideas on how the beds are laid out, I think the potager forum has lovely ideas on having raised beds in pleasing layouts.

• jbest123
    15 years ago

A photo of the area would help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• anthonyjames
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I would love to show a photo of the area but it currently has about 20 inches of snow over most of the beds. Thins I like to grow or have tried to grow.

Watermelon up a trellis
    Cantalope up a trellis
    Tomatoes
    Broccoli
    Leaf Lettuce
    Japanese Eggplants
    Carrots
    Sugar Snap Peas
    Beans
    Jalapenos
    Zucchini
    Cucumbers

I would like to grow everything in beds this year and try to trellis as much as possible. I would love to try the fruits again because none of them ripend on the vine and I lost them all as well as they took up a lot of space.