Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castoral

Border plants?

castoral
14 years ago

I checked the FAQ section and did a search but didn't find an answer....

What exactly is a border plant? (I'm assuming it's just planted on the boarder of a raised bed so it doesn't technically take up a square of space).

And what plants can be used as border plants? (Onions, garlic, potatoes, lettuce?)

Would lettuce and/or spinach work with something such as broccoli and cauliflower? I got a suggestion to 'checkboard' these...so wouldn't that allow enough room at the border?

Comments (4)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

A border is a bed where annuals and perennials are grown adjacent to something else - driveway, sidewalk, lawn.

Horticulture.

1. a. a long, narrow bed planted with flowers, shrubs, or trees.
      b. a strip of ground in which plants are grown, enclosing an area in a garden or running along the edge of a walk or driveway.
      c. the plants growing in such a strip: a border of tulips along the

path.

Dan

• castoral
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I asked the question in a dumb way. Sorry!

I know what a border bed is, my husband is a landscaper and I help him out a lot. So yes, we have border beds along our driveway and I also boarder my flower beds in the front of the house with smaller flowers and/or ground cover.

But I meant in terms of gardening. I'm looking around and I see that things like lettuce "can be planter on the border" or that planting marigolds or seom herbs such as dill around the border of the cucumbers works well. So I was just curious to find out exactly what plants take up a small enough space that they can be used around a border of a raised bed. Hopefully that makes more sense...

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    14 years ago

What plants will work will depend on your purpose for the plants. Do you want companions that will benefit each other? Do you want something just to be pretty or you hoping to cram something else in?

Here are a couple of ideas for you but of course, all of this will depend on the spacing of what is behind it:

1. Chamomile.
    2. Boxwood basil (or spicy globe basil). These are quite compact but to my tastes do not taste as good as other basils.
    3. Radishes.
    4. Green onions.
    5. Bull's blood beets.
    6. Lettuces.
    7. Marigold's (pest protection and pretty).
    8. Nasturtiums (again, pest protection and pretty).

Some other hints would be to look for compact forms of some veggies, such as cabbage, etc. When picking plants to transplant, consider what your goal is for that border plant. Do you hope to harvest it before something behind it matures fully or do you hope that it will be there until frost.

• castoral
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks tishtoshnm. That actually makes a lot of sense. I was trying to understand it from an overall perspective, for several reasons like companion planting, squeezing more plants in, etc. So your examples help a lot.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting