Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moon Phase Gardening

Posted by jengc 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 15:24

I read where you are suppose to till your soil, mow and move boxes the week before the new moon. Well today is the last day and I didnt till my soil. I did move a box but I havent finished filling it yet (laziness got the better of me the last two weekends). I was wondering if I can still move my soil and then plant my plants as they say (i.e. plant above ground plants like lettuce, endive, and spinach) or have I totally messed up my schedule for the month?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moon Phase Gardening

I've never been a lunar gardener but If the weater is good I'd do it. I never pay attention to the moon when I'm gardening though.

o

I can't imagine a physical reason to do that. I can imagine a folk lore reason, though.

Dan

o

Dan,

So you are saying that the moon can manipulate the waters of the ocean but can't possibly manipulate the moisture in plants?

o

I didn't say that at all.

Dan

o

Man, I have enough to worry about like layout, seed-starting, watering, fertilizing, pest and disease management, composting, etc., etc., I think if I had to schedule all this based on the moon phases I'd go insane faster than I eventually will go insane.

That said though, I wouldn't be surprised if there was something to all this.

o

I totally agree with luke3026. That is funny! Even though the moon phases are linked with the tide, I think plants will find a way to thrive. Seeds know which way is up and which is down when they sprout, so I think your garden will still be fine. My grandmother has had a huge, amazing vegetable garden for decades and she doesn't even consider the moon.

o

Yes, exactly. Timing gardening tasks to the moon phase is like not dating someone because they are a Leo and you are a Capricorn. That is: horoscopes are fun in a silly, useless sort of way and have no basis in reality. I'd certainly go down Luke's path that much faster, for nothing.

Dan

o

If you are able to do it according to the moon then certainly go ahead & do it. But don't let that stop you if you miss the date. : )

My mom always says if you dig a hole on a new moon you won't have enough dirt to fill it back up but if you dig a hole on a full moon you will have too much dirt leftover for the hole. I have never tried it. Actually, I don't know if she has either. hehe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here