Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting Seeds - When to pot up?

Posted by villain189 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 4, 11 at 15:29

Hi,

New to gardening and starting seeds. I found quite a few posts and articles about this on the net but still had a couple questions.

I'm using 2 inch square (2 inches deep) pots to start my plants. About how long can I weeks can I expect these to last before I need to pot up?

Based on what I've read thinking I will have to pot up to deeper 4-5 inch pots at some point.

Any specific tips for potting up? Sounds like using a spoon and scooping the plant out and into the awaiting container is a good method.

Also do you bury most of the stem when transplanting? Seems like that was common advice as well.

I'm starting a wide variety of seedlings. Broccoli, Onions, Leeks, Parsley are just getting started. And I'll also be trying to start some pepper & tomatoes.

Thanks...any tips welcomed. I realize that I'll probably have a few fails..worst case I have to get a few at the nursery but looking forward to starting my own seeds!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting Seeds - When to pot up?

They all act differently as seedlings and benefit from different treatment. I have not grown all of these, but tomatoes you will want to pot up when they get tall and you bury the stem deep. Do not do this with the other plants, just tomatoes. Pepper seedling I grow in those little peat pots and I plant them in their final spot when they have a couple sets of true leaves.

o

Most things benefit from being potted up after the first true leaves emerge...

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: My square foot gardening blog

o

I'm always a late bloomer when it comes to potting things up.

Usually I'll start in small black plastic 6-packs or something. Then when I start to see the roots come out of the bottom, I'll put them in larger containers - such as 16-ounce cups.

After putting them in the 16-ounce cups, they usually make it all the way out to transplanting.

I just planted a lot of broccoli, tomatoes, cauliflower, and peppers - and I put them in 16-ounce cups or larger - that way I don't have to worry about potting them up. But when I first started - with celery for example - I start them in those black plastic things and move them to the 16-ounce cups.

Regarding transplanting - I usually always transplant them at the same soil level that they were previously in. I would think that if you put them in deeper, it may cause the stem to rot.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here