Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucy_web

New SFG Qa: weed membrane + asparagus

lucy_web
15 years ago

Hello,

We are just starting our new SFG. We have the wooden frames, and have sorted the layout. The beds are all either 4'x4' or 8'x4' and are vaguely arranged in 3 blocks. All the beds are around 6 inches tall.

The easiest thing for me to do is to put weed membrane under everything - under the boxes and under the pathways. Is this O.K? The ground is grass and weeds, and the pathways will have shredded woodchip on them. I'm slightly concerned that some things I plant will have roots that will need to go through the membrane and will be blocked.

Also I want to grow one bed 8 ft x 4 ft with asparagus. I was thinking of stacking 2 of the 6 inch tall boxes on top of each other, giving me a depth of 12 inches. Will this be O.K with weed membrane under? And, I think the Mel's Mix of 1/3 peat moss will be too acidic for asparagus ... should I try manure, compost and vermiculite?

Any advice gratefully received. I've been wanting to get this garden going for years now, but we've only just settled in our house. :-)

Comments (3)