Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your opinion on Railroad ties?

Posted by michael_so_fl zone 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 16:27

The railway co. has replaced their old RR ties with new ones and the old ones are on the sides of the road. After so many years do you think the creosote would still be harmful if I were to use them for SFG?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your opinion on Railroad ties?

This is from an EPA document

6. Are railroad ties safe for me to use for landscaping around my home?
There are no approved uses of creosote to treat wood for residential use. The Agency is aware that creosote-treated railroad ties are being used in the residential setting for landscape purposes and, in some instances, as a border around gardens. Such uses in residential settings are not intended uses of creosote and have not been considered in the preliminary risk assessment. If you do have creosote-treated wood in your yard, you are reminded to consult the handling precautions outlined above in this document.

o
RE: What is your opinion on Railroad ties?

I would never chance growing vegetables with any railroad ties, even if they are old. Free is not always the wisest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here