Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horticultural grade vermiculite

Posted by thinkstoomuch 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 8, 10 at 16:44

Hi All,
I purchased vermiculite for my first square foot garden. I had a tough time locating a source that carried it in 4 cf bags. Now I'm worried because I read a post from someone who stated that they bought the wrong vermiculite. Can someone ease my worry? Is horticultural grade acceptable for Mel's mix? On the package, neither coarse or medium is checked off, but in perm marker, someone wrote "VC". I assumed that to mean vermiculite - coarse. Help.
Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horticultural grade vermiculite

I think "VC" might mean "very course." But either way, I think your stuff will work fine. Horticultural grade means safe for plant cultivation so that stuff is the right stuff. This is only my second year of SFG, so maybe someone more experienced can chime in if I'm wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden blog

o

Horticultural grade is good. Although, not necessary depending on the vermiculite manufacturer, the same exact contents may be packaged into different bags for different marketing/applications. My bags did not say the particle size either, so I looked up the manufacturer on the internet from the bag and called them to find out the size. For the manufacturer that distributes in this area, their horticultural grade comes in coarse & medium.

o

Thanks for the replies. I feel better. I might contact the manufacturer just out of curiousity.

o

Kim; From what I understand Horticultural grade = coarse and what Mel recommends in his book.That's what I used and it came from the local green house (what they use). Feeling better now?

Curt :-)

o

I do feel better now. Thank you!

o

Sorry, don't mean to be disagreeable, but our area horticultural vermiculite comes in medium & coarse ... http://palmettovermiculite.com/products.html

Although, I used medium last year and it was ok.

o

Not a problem for me angela. Thank you for clearing that up.

Curt :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here