Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raised Bed Construction Ideas

Posted by dragonfly_wings (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 17:18

I built a raised bed using some old cedar 2x12's I had laying around from another project. The bed dimensions are 4'x 8'. I had some tomato and pepper plants that would need support and I figured I'd have to cover the whole bed with some shade cloth soon to protect it from the seering Texas sun.

First I thought I'd use some 4' x 20' gridded metal cattle panels I had, cutting it to about 16' length and then attaching each end to the short side of my garden frame so that it would arc over the garden like an arched trellis.
I'd allow my tomato plants to grow up the panels at each end and could cover the arch with shade cloth when needed.

But then I remembered I had some old wooden pallets (the kind used to transport large loads with a forklift) that were exactly 4' x 4' and could be easily attached to both ends of the bed (the 4' sides) with two long 2"x 2" cedar boards attached to the top extending the 8 foot length of the bed that would support a shade cloth. The pallet boards run horizontally like a fence would. Anyway, it was pretty quick and cheap, so I thought I'd share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raised Bed Construction Ideas

sounds interesting, got pics?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here