Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ribbit32004

raised beds at ace..and i went ot in my own post

ribbit32004
15 years ago

I noticed in the flier I got this afternoon that Ace has 6X6 raised bed "frame/kit" for $30.00.

Doesn't sound too shabby although 6X6 sounds a bit difficult to get in the middle of.....They show a picture, bu you really can't see much under the foliage of what they show planted. Figure I might go this weekend and check them out even though I don't have any more space.

I already put two more boxes, one for blueberry bushes and another 6X2 box for god only knows what on the side of the house...the neighbors are really going to love that one.

So the space gets 8 hours of sun (more than anything else). The boy is dying for corn, but I think I need something a bit more eye appealing for the side of the house. I was thinking bush beans or cucumbers...any ideas of an "attractive" veggie (no trellis), altough, EG, there is a slight slope...very slight for which I could use your methods to correct. :)

Also, thought to mention we're one short in the garden now. The tomato muncher is still alive and well and already deheadded four tomato plants this year alone, but I put down our malamute, Vladimir, yesterday. He had obviously had a stroke in the last week and had a massive, massive seizure yesterday morning. Most definetly not the first, just the first we had seen. It was most likely a brain tumor or lesion of some sort. The doctor kept trying to tell me he could be kept alive for 3 weeks or so, and I actually had to convince the doctor I was okay with putting him down.

So, there will be no more random dog paw prints in the garden from an oblivious dog who doesn't know how to turn around between the beds, no more mix dug out of the beds, no more chewbaca-esque howling for food, no more prancing, happy puppy dog faces.

We made THE right decision. Of that, there is no doubt. He was scared, afraid, and pleading for answers with his eyes.

Sorry to go on, but this was rather theraputic. Sooooo, help me grieve and plan what to put in this 2X6 bed in Vladimir's memory.

Comments (13)

• daves_girl
    15 years ago

Oh Ribbit, I am so very sorry for your loss. I know how painful it is, and I hope I never have to do that again. Pets add so much love to our lives, and they certainly take a piece of our hearts with them when they leave us. Nothing I can write will ease your pain, but you are in my thoughts.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Ribbit, I'm so sorry. They give us so much love, it's heartbreaking to lose them.

We took Annie in for a little procedure last week and she was terrified! She had such a look of fear in her eyes, and she shook and tried to bury her face in Mr. H's chest. And that was only to have her toenails trimmed! It just about broke my heart to see her like that.

Peppers like the heat and look pretty, and they freeze well, too. How about green beans and red bell peppers?

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, guys, but honestly, I'm very secure in the decision I made. I miss him, yes, but I made the right decision. I think I've posted pics of him before, but here are thing 1 and thing 2 about 3 years ago. The fuzzy malamute is Vladimir. He always had the happy puppy face The stupid look on the dane is his natural, everyday look. He can't find a clue even if it's in his food bowl.

What is it about the toe nails, Granny! The dane quakes like a little girl when we try to cut his.

Sorry, I loathe peppers. The man already has me planting 6 different kinds in the back garden despite my protests that even one pepper contaminates the whole garden concept. This new one is going to be pepper-free. Do you think bsush beans will look appealing enough? most of our neighbors are barely within shouting distance, but this one's driveway is spitting distance from this new box. I'd use the space for more toms as the serial tomato killer couldn't get to them, but tomatoes can look so rough in the middle of summer and it would't maximize the space. What do you think?

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

"Patio" type tomatoes (they don't get leggy and rough looking like the bigger ones) with purple basil and chives...let the chives bloom.

Granny

• lilion
    15 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss.

I personally think zucchini (or any other summer squash) is a georgous, tropical-looking plant, but huge. Beans aren't bad at all. You could get the purple-hull type for some color. Maybe a bush-type cherry tomato?

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

Sorry for your loss, as you know it was the right thing to do.

I vote for a bush type acorn squash, my family loves em!

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for the well wishes. He was our first baby...before children. I love the idea of the purple beans. I have some of those already. I've never done acorn squash..how do you cook it?

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Pioneer Woman: Delicious Baked Acorn Squash

Acorn Squash
    Kosher Salt
    Butter
    Brown Sugar
    Pure Maple Syrup

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Half each squash, then scrape out the seeds and stringy membranes.
    Sprinkle each half with salt.
    Add a generous tablespoon of butter to the center of each squash.
    Add 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons brown sugar.
    Drizzle squash with maple syrup.
    Pour 2 cups water in the bottom of the baking pan.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 30-45 minutes, or until squash is golden brown. In the last 5 minutes of baking, turn on the broiler and allow tops to get a little more brown and the butter/sugar mixture to bubble.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pioneer Woman Cooks

• maifleur01
    15 years ago

Just looking in. So sorry for your loss. It is very hard. Your great dane must be morning his friends passing.

most winter type squashes including acorn can be also could savory rather than sweet. My favorite way when I was working was to cut the squash in half, put a little oil on the squash and a flat bottom cooking sheet, cook until almost tender. Next day I would take to lunch with a bottle of seasoned or garlic salt and shredded cheese, any flavor of cheese. Microwave til hot prinkle with salt and top with cheese. You can make as cheesy as you wish.

For your pepper person find some of the very hot small peppers. Most are decorative and after eating one or two will never be requested again.

• ribbit32004
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, Granny! Just like I do butternut squash. Sounds good. Malifleur, thank you for your well wishes. The dane has taken to sleeping in all of the Mali's spots and beds, something he'd never be so rash as to attempt in the past, so you can tell he knows what's going on. Either that, or he's staking his claim as the new top dog.

I never thought about doing acorn with garlic salt. May be something to try. I must say I laughed out loud with the pepper comment.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Ribbit, sometimes I just put the squash halve in a dish, add a bit of water, cover with plastic wrap (vented) and microwave until tender. Drain, remove the peeling and mash the squash with butter and brown sugar. Mr. H loves winter squash baked or mashed with brown sugar, but he wouldn't touch a sweet potato with a 10-foot pole. Go figure...the flavors aren't that different.

Granny

• sb158
    15 years ago

Granny, isn't that weird? I love sweet potatoes done that way, but don't think I like acorn squash. I remember my mom cooking it from time to time, and it was always too sweet. Hubby won't eat ANY squash except zucchini raw in a salad or veggie tray. Shame , cuz I love it...most of it , anyway.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

sb, you might like the acorn squash just mashed with some butter and no sugar. It's quite sweet on its own. I love sweet potato French fries, Mr. H thinks they are just gross. He would kill for fried zucchini.

Granny

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County