Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chimacalgal

Is this too much for a begginer?

CJ Mac
13 years ago

Planning to buy 2 of the "Double Bed Gardens" from Greenland Gardener and stack them to have a 16" high 3.5x7' garden. That will give me 21 sq ft--with an extra 6 inches in which I will add mini marigolds along the edge.

Here's what I'm planning:

1. Basil (sweet Genovese)

2. Basil (lemon)

3. Thyme (lemon)

4. Thyme (regular)

5. Flat leaf parsley

6. Sage

7. Chives

8. Dill

9. Romaine lettuce

1. Broccoli
  2. Sweet GA onions
  3. Brown onions
  4. Potatoes
  5. Carrots
  6. Pole beans
  7. Sugar snap peas
  8. Tomato (small variety)
  9. Tomato (larger)
  10. Strawberry
  11. Zinnias
  12. Petunias

I already have about 10 of these--most of the herbs, plus the broccoli, lettuce, and sweet GA onions.

I've got mint and oregano already spreading around the back yard, along with savory, Spanish lavendar, and rosemary. The only other thing I would plant outside the box would be zucchini.

Is this too much for a rank beginner or do you think it's doable? I'm planning on trying to make a trellis per the SFG book for the tomatoes, pole beans and peas.

Will plan to remove lettuce and broccoli and probably dill when it gets too hot--or make some kind of shade for them. (The spot is full sun.)

Oh, last question: I was quite relieved to read that if you raise the bed, you can fill the bottom with sand--but how do I have the squares for potato and carrots have extra soil without having to do the entire thing? (The book kept saying see this or that chapter for more info--but there wasn't any more info.)

Wait--2 more questions: Is 16" high enough to keep rabbits out? We've got a problem with the critters.

The other problem is poor drainage in our back yard. (The extension service actually used photos of our backyard as an example of a place that really needs water gardens.) Think that I need to place the entire thing on bricks first--or will the lower 6-8 inches of sand be enough?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• bsntech
    13 years ago

Hello Bhamster -

You should be able to do this without a problem. Just ensure you do your spacing right and everything will turn out well.

Do you plan on growing your own veggies from seeds - or will you be purchasing them?

You can certainly try to grow them from seed - but it may be a bit late for your area to begin. Especially if just starting - it might be good to purchase them this year and next year venture into seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• et14
    13 years ago

Lot of questions that's good!

OK, let's start with the depth. I don't know about the units you are talking about, but plain old 2" x 6" lumber is what I used. My beds are 3' x 6'. I used 10 foot long 2x6 and I double stacked like you at talking about. I make corner blocks and used those to splice the boards together. Check your cost on lumber.

So my beds are 10" deep. When I do potato plants like Yukon Golds which grow at the bottom right above the seed potato, I use an insert for that space to build up higher. You could do the same thing above the sand.

As for the draiage issue, maybe some drain tile in the bottom?

Hope this helps

Stan

• CJ Mac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Stan, tell me what you mean about the "seed potato." I'd like to grow Yukon golds if I can. (I know nothing about what's available where.)

I don't know what drain tile is, but I'll look into it!

Just came from Sam's Club where I got the double bed garden for $39 each! I bought two. (Would have bought more but my husband wouldn't authorize more--at least for now. ;-)

http://shop.greenlandgardener.com/products/2-box-kit

bsntech, I'm planning to buy plants as much as possible. There's a garden place south of us that I love visiting because they have all native plants and are really knowledgeable and helpful. It's a long drive, but I like to give them business--and have an excuse for going.

Can anyone tell me which green beans are the beans used in green bean casserole? Also like the green beans with almonds you get from Birdseye. But that's the extent of my knowledge of beans. (I wouldn't ANY vegetables as a kid.)

• et14
    13 years ago

Sorry, been outside working on the raised beds. Just finished a 3' x 6' strawberry bed.

Seed potato you get from the garden place that has seeds and plants. Take the potato and cut it into peices with at least two eyes each. Let the cuts dry overnight. Dig down to about 3 to 4 inches and plant the pieces with the eyes facing up. Cover with about 4 inches of soil. When the plants send the stem up and pop out of the soil, let them get about 4 inches tall and cover them back up--up to the leaves. Don't cover the leaves. Keep doing this till you have about 18"-24" of soil. You will have to build slat inserts to help keep the soil in place or you could mound it (hilling potatoes).

Yukon Gold potatoes grow potatoes above this "seed potato" about 6"-10" above the seed.

Drain tile is a 4" pvc pipe that has holes or slots to le the water pass through. Most big box stores have it in the garden center. They even have a "sock" for it that keeps the sand or dirt out. Put this under the bed and it will drain the water away.

Hope this answers your questions.

Stan

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor