Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luke3026

Rabbit fencing options

luke3026
15 years ago

After many backbreaking hours of work and several trips to Agway, I finally have my beds filled and gridded. Now I'm turning my attention to keeping out the rabbits, of which there is no shortage in my neighborhood. I'm not real sure how to approach this. For a variety of reasons, fencing in the entire area isn't practical at the moment, so I was thinking of attaching the fencing to the individual boxes themselves.

Any ideas on an approach like this? I guess the fence would either have to be low enough to easily access the plants, or be easily removable to provide such access.

Thanks,

Luke

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of the beds

Comments (9)

• anddirt
    15 years ago

Last year I used 2' chicken wire supported by short posts at each corner of each bed.

• solarity
    15 years ago

I'm doing the same thing. I've got one bed put together with a pile of compost sitting in the middle, will work on the second bed later. So haven't gotten the peat & vermiculite in there yet... But my problem is this is going to be the biggest best litter box to my cats. I thought I could use rabbit fencing. Yes technically a cat could jump 3ft rabbit fencing, but they don't do things they are uncertain of, and in this case they can't be certain what their landing on. But the why isn't as important to you just that I'm facing the same issue. I have some type of rebar or some material about 3ft high that goes a bit into the ground on two corners, then the trellis on the other 2 corners. I can easily wrap and attach the fence to these corners but I need easy access. I thought it would be easy using carabiners to hook the corners together. But I don't want to spend money on easy attach and detach. My coworker suggested I check the dollar store for some cheap carabiners so I might try that out. Luckily in my situation I can get rid of the fencing once the veggies are established. I guess you have to think about long-term veggie growth with actual rabbits. I'm still figuring it out as well.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

You might check WalMart for carabiners too. We recently got some that are about 3" or so for about $1.00 ea. They were in the hardware dept. I can't remember if they had smaller ones.

I found that my cats (or someone's) seemed to leave presents buried in the wood mulch in my pathways on occasion but I didn't have trouble with it in the beds. One of my 2 did seem to think once in a while that the garden was her own personal lounging spot.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Luke, I have a removable fencing setup constructed for my garden, and it keeps all critters out. I don't know if you would be interested in constructing something like this, but felt that I should at least bring it to your attention. I'll provide you with a direct link to a blog post I did on it last year.

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: my removable fencing

• luke3026
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's really nice EG! Maybe a slightly bigger project than I'm looking to do this first year of SFG. I think I'm just gonna wrap 2 ft of fencing around each box using short posts and my trellis cleats, at least for now and see if it keeps the rabbits at bay.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I can understand....it was a pretty big job! Thanks.

EG

• snibb
    15 years ago

I would consider this-cheap, lightweight, and easy to use...just make it big enough to fit over your box and let it rest on the ground..

• luke3026
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting. What do you do as the plants get bigger?

• snibb
    15 years ago

Nothing..its perfect for salad greens, carrots, bush beans, radishes, certain flowers, herbs, etc...it stands maybe 3 feet tall or so..

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz