Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I use topsoil?

Posted by jamesgindc DC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 19, 10 at 17:30

This is my second year of SFG... last year I had a 4x6 raised bed with about 8" of topsoil mixed with organic compost, and had a pretty good year. My cukes kinda tapered off toward the end, but I was getting tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant all the way through to first frost.

This year I'm expanding. I'm adding a level onto my 4x6 (to give me some more depth to work with, the soil below is almost all clay mixed with bricks and God knows what else, this being DC). I'm also making a second L-shaped bed, about 48 square feet.

Should I keep using topsoil/compost, or was I lucky to get the yield I got from topsoil last year? Would a vermiculite/peat/compost combination be any less expensive? With topsoil, my soil costs are going to easily top $150-160, for 72 square feet of garden.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I use topsoil?

I have a 300 sf raised bed and purchased topsoil and amended heavily. Not a problem.

Dan

o

@Dan: What did you use to amend the soil. I plan to do the same as jamesgindc.

o

James, I think you can do Mel's Mix for close to the same price as you are calculating for topsoil. My mom just did 76sf 8" deep for $155.

o

I used several different purchased composts, compost from the pile, etc. Your manufactured soil mix should be good in and of itself for the basics and simply adding OM should do it. You'll get settling and have to refresh, and compost does that well.

Dan

o

I dont use Mels mix either, my soil is 1/3 topsoil, 1/3 coarse sand, 1/3 peat moss. I tried using straight topsoil one season but found it compacted and was to hard to work by hand so I switched,, best thing I could have done for my 168 sq ft of beds, I also modified the width of the beds to 40in wide, just takes 3 8ft boards to get a 3'x8' planting area.

o

• Posted by keski 6, Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 22, 10 at 7:40

In order to keep costs down, I discovered that Lowe's and my local Agway will sell torn bags of topsoil, potting soil, manure, peat moss,etc. for half price or less. I had to fill a sloped bed that was 12" deep on one end. I was able to get 4 bags amended topsoil, 2.2 cu ft. peat moss, large bag of MG garden soil,large bag MG potting soil, 1 cu. ft. potting soil, 1 bag manure all for $18. I also threw in sand, leaves to fill the deep side. Then I used Mel's Mix in the top six inches. The additional materials for the mix cost about $57.
Keski

o

I used purchased "topsoil" which was really mostly compost. Then I added peat moss my own compost and municapal compost. Spent about $40 on soil for 49 sq feet. If I were to do it again I would use my compost my leaf mold municipal compost and peat moss and probally only have to spend $16 for the same sq footage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here