Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any other options for vermiculite in mel's mix?

Posted by carrieann0413 5-6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 17:41

I want to attempt my 1st garden this year and want to go with square foot gardening in a raised bed. I got Mel's book from the library and now I am calling around pricing materials so see what this is going to cost me. Not looking for invest a lot right now if I can help it. I have 1 more store to call but so far I found 1 place that has vermiculite but it isn't course and it is $16 for 2 cubic feet. I need 3 cubic feet of it so I have to buy 2. So $32 and that is only 1/3 of the mix, yikes! Is that worse it and it isn't even the recommended course grade. Is that a big deal? I know somethings are worth splurging on and if this is one of them tell me and I will work it out but if I could use something else or just buy enough for 2 cubic feet and use something else for the other cubic foot to fill in. Is perlite worth buying? Every store I call says that have that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any other options for vermiculite in mel's mix?

There is an active thread on vermiculite sources you can take a look at, as well as the FAQ entry ideas on alternative locations to find it, but vermiculite is the thing I skimp on most when putting together a new bed. In fact, the only vermiculite in my beds is what what I threw there after using small amounts of vermiculite for rooting cuttings or the like.

o

As Ray said, there are a lot of lengthy posts in this forum and FAQ about vermiculite and vermiculite alternatives. Do a quick search and you'll find them.

o

For one 4x4 bed, I think 2 cu ft of verm should be fine. Just use a little extra compost and peat moss. I am planning 2 4x4 beds, and using 4cf of verm, 6cf peat moss, and 6cf compost (roughly).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here