Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbest123_gw

Squash bugs or (U)squash(/U) bugs or (S) use Ortho Bug Be Gone(/S

jbest123
15 years ago

I made the fatal mistake of using "Free" city mulch last year. I got one hell of an infestation of squash bugs, the first time in 50+ years of gardening. Too much of a coincidence, I know I got them from the city. Last fall when I cleared the garden of debris, there were thousands of them. With the few warm days we have had this spring, I am seeing them everywhere. I will probably be seeing them in my sleep. My problem now is, do I quit growing summer squads for several years (my favorite veggie) or do I use Ortho Bug be Gone. I think there will be too many to control them manually.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Comments (16)

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Squash bugs are tenacious!! There's not a garden around me for miles and those buggers still sniffed me out. I got to the point last year where I didn't care if the things I used were going to kill me. By god, I was going to kill them.

I guess it depends on how anti pesticide you are. I'd say use whatever you like as long as you're still willing to eat the product, otherwise it's a mute point.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

John, try rotenone. It's a much friendlier bug killer than Ortho BBG. If you want winter squash, plant Waltham butternut, which is resistant to the SVB.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

John, try rotenone. It's a much friendlier bug killer than Ortho BBG. If you want winter squash, plant Waltham butternut, which is resistant to the SVB.

Granny

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

John, have you thought about planting a trap crop away from your main garden? That way, you could just use it as bait, and really apply the chemicals to it.

EG

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All the edu-ag information I can find says that anything less than spraying pesticides is ineffective for the SB. They go so far as to name products and that Sevin is somewhat effective but BBG is the only one that will do the job. The research may have been paid by an Ortho grant, I do not know. I fell like rabbit, they violated my garden and they will pay with there lived. All of them.

Granny, I grow the Butterbush, it is a smaller Butternut about 1 ½ lb. I, my wife, and the SBs love them.

EG, like I said above, I want to kill all of them not some. I hope I put them on the extinct list.

John

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

If BBG is the best product out there and EG's squish-'em method won't work, then grab a BM and sticket to those SBs. Hehe enough acronyms for ya?

Seriously, I am organic to a point. If nothing else works, then I use what does, though chemicals are normally the last resort. I know you're retired and all, but you have better things to do than squish 1,000s of bugs.

Good luck! Nuke 'em.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

John, everything you ever wanted to know about controlling squash vine borers can be found in the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Vine Borer: Organic Controls

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny, until recently I was totally organic in the garden. When I would have an infestation of some kind, the organic correction was only marginally successful. I do not know if it was just me or my location or what. I wish these various links would define what they mean when they say "control". I assume they mean that you bring the population down to an acceptable level. To me an acceptable level is one, either male or female but not both. I see my only options right now as being, use BBG or not growing squash for a couple of years. I am so upset over this that I am going to have an IT instead of a BM. Ok so I told one little lie. :o)

John

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

OK, John...what's an IT? Itty-bitty Trickle?

Granny

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny, I thought you would be the first one to catch on. I as in Iced and T as in tea. What is this world coming to?

John

p.s. Tell your son that all good people are named John.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

John, I meant to say Itsy-bitsy Tinkle....that just seemed to go with BM ;-)

With you it would probably be a LIIT.

My first husband was John, Mr. H is John and son is John....all were/are good men.

Granny

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok,Ok what the hell is LIIT?

John

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Long Island Iced Tea

1 part vodka
    1 part 1800® Tequila
    1 part rum
    1 part gin
    1 part triple sec
    1 1/2 parts sweet and sour mix
    1 splash Coca-Cola®

Mix ingredients together over ice in a glass. Pour into a shaker and give one brisk shake. Pour back into the glass and make sure there is a touch of fizz at the top. Garnish with lemon.

• jbest123
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Granny, cripe I would be out in the garden with an arm around the shoulders of squadh bugs singing Bring on the squash. :o)

John

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Or maybe you could spray it on the squash bugs. It would either kill 'em or make them your very best friends.

Granny

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

Oh LIIT... I haven't had one of those in over 20 years! Back in the day my limit was three... only because the bartender would cut you off at three :-) probably a good thing!

John, Good luck with the SB's

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey