Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiffany_gw

Grid and irrigation system for SFG

kiffany
13 years ago

Hi,

Has anyone made a grid out of PVC or something similar that would be dual purpose as a grid and irrigation system?

thanks

Comments (11)

• nanagarden
    13 years ago

You may want to search YouTube. I remember seeing a video last year that showed a man using PVC as a grid across a raised bed and had drilled small holes into the PVC to use it as a drip system. Maybe someone here has tried it, I hope they post if they have.

• bsntech
    13 years ago

That might be me you are speaking of.

I do not really use the square-foot gardening method though - mostly just raised beds.

Those that use 4x4 squares for gardening probably wouldn't want to use the idea I've used.

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC Irrigation System

• kiffany
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi bsntech,

Thanks for informational video. Your system is very close to what I was thinking of. Can you answer a few questions.

1) I know that your system is raised up to make it level. My beds are level. Do you think that I should raise them above the soil? Or would they work as well resting on top of the soil? Maybe dirt would end up clogging the holes.

2) How did you determine how far apart to space the pvc pipes from each other and how far apart for the holes?

3) I am thinking of running out a main line and then branch out to the beds. I was going to bury the main line and then have it come up out of the ground inside the beds and then pvc laid out over the surface. Do you think there is enough water pressure to push the water from under the beds to the surface?

Thanks again!

• bsntech
    13 years ago

kiffany -

1) In the back garden, I have the PVC pipe lying right on the soil - no problems. My front garden is at a slope - so it has to be raised up - like in the video - to maintain even water distribution. But, there is no problem with putting it right on the soil - and may actually be better since the water won't splash up onto leaves or getting any of the leaves wet.

2) The PVC pipe is put down each row in the garden. I poked 1/16-inch holes into the PVC pipe right where a plant would be. So - for instance, I plant green beans six inches apart. I ensured that I poked one hole right near the stem for each green bean plant. Ensure you use only a 1/16-inch bit - anything large will give out way too much water!

3) Funny you mention a main line. I have a main line running from my rain barrels all the way up to the front garden. It is 3/4-inch PVC so it has better water flow. Then, I use 1/2-inch ball valves at the locations where I attach the 1/2-inch PVC pipe that is then used to feed the beds. Works perfect.

Now - I do have all of my stuff raised up a good amount. So, I get a good deal of pressure from this fact alone. So, I'm not sure how you will be laying out your system - but even if you buried your main line by a few inches or just beneath the surface, I don't see how this would stop you from pressure issues.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

• nanagarden
    13 years ago

Bsntech, that was the video I had remembered from last year. Very nice.

• timetraveler zone 9b Melbourne Beach, Florida
    13 years ago

"Those that use 4x4 squares for gardening probably wouldn't want to use the idea I've used."

bsntec, Why?

• bsntech
    13 years ago

Well, I said that those with 4x4 squares wouldn't want to use my system because - you are talking a lot of PVC pipe in small, four-foot sections.

It certainly is possible. But if you have 16 4x4 boxes, you'll have to devise a way to tie all of those into the PVC system.

Since I just have two large 4 x 20 beds that are connected together and other beds, it makes it work well for me.

• ttgarden
    12 years ago

Hey - I just saw exactly what I think you are looking for. Check this out www.garden-grid.com

This thing fits right in a 4 x 4 - and you can connect more than one if your beds are fairly close.

• Biglou1
    12 years ago

Instead of useing PVC for the grid and irrigation why not try using the drip irrigation system. You can find all the components at HD or Lowes and its pretty reasonable. you can configure it into SQ Ft grida as you would with PVC and it already has pre drilled holes. I have mine hooked up to a 55 Gallon barrel and i just turn on the spigot and everything gets watered evenly.

• snibb
    12 years ago

Yes...there is also a complete little "kit" now available directly from the SFG website. I have loved my drip irrigation system that I have used for 10 years now. I think there is some pictures of it on my site(its not fully functional yet but its getting there)...the great thing about this drip system is that it not only works well, but its pretty cheap to put together...good luck..
    www.thewealthyearth.com

• BryanT13
    11 years ago

I use this, small company from Florida that my friends parents started. I love it! Looks nice and is so much easier than all the soaker hoses and strings etc. They also make expandable cedar garden boxes (in picture).

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden in Minutes products

Sponsored