Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryansr

Food to give..

ryansr
15 years ago

During the times we live in it is increasingly important to remember those who are in need, and to do out part to help our communities.

My family and I will be growing and extra bed of produce this year with the specific intent to donate it to a local food bank. I would like to find others who would be willing to do the same. If I find enough people, I will start some sort of group where we can exchange advice,problems and ideas. If you are not in the Denver area, thats ok, please join in!

Any takers? If you need help finding a food bank in you're area that will accept fresh produce, please let me know and I will try to help.

Comments (10)

• frcebwthu
    15 years ago

I hope to plant a large garden this year, and if we are to have a surplus, I will be giving it to the local food bank.

• jbest123
    15 years ago

I have given away about 80% of what I grow for the past 50 years to complete strangers. I do not know if they are poor, middle income or rich and do not care as long as they think they need it. I have a shelf that I put on a fence facing an alley with a sigh, free vegetables. At the end of the day, the veggies are always gone. The food banks around here do not want donations of canned goods or vegetables. They will accept them but they let it be known they prefer cash. Well guess what, I do not grow cash, I wish I could.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

Yup. We are cramming plants into every available space and container to do the same.

One extra plant may make a difference to someone. Say, that sounds like a good tagline for this idea!

Dan

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I'm cutting out corn and planting 44 extra SF of staple veggies to preserve, donate or otherwise give away. I won't know how much until it's growing.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

I already had my garden planned to feed my extended family as well as my next door neighbors. However, I got the news that the neighbor (husband) passed away around 6 this morning. I doubt his wife will be able to live there by herself. I'm saddened that I will probably be losing my garden buddy..she makes delicious things from the veggies I grow, and always shares with me.

Our senior center welcomes fresh produce, which they put out for those who need it.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• liisa_rwc
    15 years ago

I will be feeding my extended family as well.. that will be eight total. Any surplus will go to a local soup kitchen near my home.

Liisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Liisa's Garden Journey

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Granny: Please extend our condolences to your neighbor. We will be praying for her. He's not much of a garden guy, but I would be lost without my guy. My heart breaks for her.
    We have apartments a few blocks away where I was told I can leave my produce in baskets in various places. That's my plan anyway.

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

Granny, I'm so sorry to hear that. Give her a hug for us when you get home.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Ribbit & Carolyn, thanks. I'll give her lots of hugs when I get home (she cried when I left last fall)...I was looking forward to a joyous reunion with her, but now it will be a funeral to attend. Stan had celebrated his 80th birthday last summer, but he was not in the best of health. We'd had a couple of scares with him in the past year, so his passing was not completely unexpected.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• carroteggs
    15 years ago

That's a good idea. If my plants overbear (Which I hope they will...) they are definitely going to my local churches and neighbors. There are several churches that have a food bank.

Granny, sorry to hear about your friend's (and yours) loss. I lost my grandfather this year too. My condolences to both of you.