Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rakin_gw

Nasturtiums - friend or foe?

rakin
10 years ago

This is my first year to plant vegetables (both SFG and containers). I was thinking of lining the front edge of the raised bed with nasturtiums as a deterrent for pests, but I am reading different opinions on their benefit. Some say they are good as a companion to deter pest. Others say they are a sacrificial plant.
Now, if the point is to use them to attract the pests away from the veggies, wouldn't that open me up to possibly attracting pests that would not have come otherwise? I have 8 seedlings almost ready to go, but I don't know what to do with them.
Also, how much space should I expect that they would take from a bed. I have an 8x4 bed and am only willing to lose 6 inches off the front. But only if it is worth it? The variety is papaya cream mix with a height of 12". I was hoping that they would just drape over the edge and give a nice look while also bringing some benefits. I will be planting ( from back to front) broccoli, lettuce, green onions, and carrots. Warm weather plantings will be tomatoe bush, and peppers. Any opinions?

Comments (7)

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    10 years ago

I planted some in the fall and they grew super fast, to get devastated by worms, but grew back like crazy and are blooming profusely and beautifully. Good point about drawing pests to the garden just to feed them - like agricultural misdirection? Ha. I'll be interested to hear what folks have to say about that?

They are also beneficial for other reasons - they're pretty (not to be underestimated imo), edible - both leaves and blossoms, and draw all kinds of good pollinators... All part of keeping a diverse buffet for a diverse insect population.

But I am new to gardening and await other (more experienced?) input on this question....

• opossums5
    10 years ago

I did this very thing last year in my new little square foot garden. I planted them on 3 sides. I didn't plant them as a trap, just as an edible pretty. I didn't know they were bothered by pests; I guess they aren't here in the PNW! It worked out nicely, they did drape down. I gave them very little room, planting them close together and close to the edge, and planted veg maybe 2-3 inches in. Not every plant did well of course, and they weren't luscious and bushy, but they had plenty of blooms draping over the sides and were quite pretty. I'm going to do it again this year.

• ajames54
    10 years ago

I've planted them for years, both as an aphid trap/sacrificial and as something interesting and edible. I put them close to but not IN the vegie garden, in various hanging pots and containers used for colour around the deck and front porch. I find they work quite well and are easy to grow.

• oliveoyl3
    10 years ago

If planted in rich soil & fed too much they grow leaves, but don't bloom as much. Leaves are edible & peppery tasting, but not overpowering if you use as accent in a salad.

• gardenper
    10 years ago

Reminds me of those fly traps where they should come into some kind of liquid stuff and die in the trap. Without that trap, I didn't realize I had that many flies around my yard. But with that trap, I almost thought maybe it was attracting the flies into my yard in the first place.

I personally like the nasturtiums in my yard and garden for the reasons given above, so I guess you'll have to try it and see, since even in this one thread, there were many points about how it might negatively affect the area, but many good points about its positive effects also.

• Roadcapn
    10 years ago

They are a good trap plant that is tough and rewards you with edible flowers for your salads (peppery taste). Go ahead and plant them on the front and let them drape over, very pretty and need very little care except for water. I plant them all over my sfg's.

• snibb
    10 years ago

Hmmm...I must be doing something wrong? I've never had an issue with them. ;-)

Sponsored