Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ok you all southern guy/gals, I'm catching up.

Posted by jbest123 Zone 5 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 2, 09 at 18:20

Today I started my pepper seeds and next week it will be the tom's and egg's and after that it will be the cole and salad greens. Get ready Mother Nature, here I come. ;o)

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ok you all southern guy/gals, I'm catching up.

WOOHoO!!! Although after this week I'm thinking this spring gardening thing is for the birds. Literally....They seem to be the only ones that are going to profit from this slow growing mess before I have to rip it out for the summer crop.

o

Don't feel too badly Ribbit/Rabbit. My AZ garden was a bit of a bummer, too. I didn't get much out of it for all the time I spent on it, but if I plant one down here next winter I'll know to get a LOT more soil amendments and dig them down into the sand below. And direct plant rather than start stuff in containers on the south side of the house.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

o

John - good luck catching up with us southern folks, some of us aren't called "poopyheads" for nothing. Ha!
Ok.....really, I'm glad you're finally able to get something started. How's that compost lookin' ?

EG

o

Way to go John! Hehe, I planted on peer pressure it seems. My cukes I seeded this weekend are way too early it seems. Oops.

o

EG, the compost looks good. I was able to get some from the bottom of the one pile. I did not pasteurize it though and I am hoping nothing goofy grows instead of my seedlings.

sinfonian, my parents and grand parents always planted there cukes on the longest day of the year. I think a little bit of superstition was involved. ;o)

John

o

John,

You don't think your starting a bit early?

I'm a zone south of you, and I won't be starting my tomatoes and peppers until next week. I'll be almost exactly 8 weeks out. You are 10 weeks out now, right?

o

jleiwig, I always transplant my toms, peps and eggs into 4" pots. When the nighttime temperatures stay above 40 deg f, I leave the GH open at night and keep the temperatures cool during the day. The other veggies in the soil blocks will be planted directly in the garden. I usually plant my garden May 1st and if we have a late frost, I use hot-caps.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here