Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How mixed are your SFG?

Posted by txchristie z8TX (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 12, 10 at 18:31

Not sure how to word the title, what I mean is, if you have many different plants w/i your SFG, or does anyone have a 4x4 that's just toms, another that's just peppers, just beans, etc. I usually have everything all mixed up, wondering what would happen if I had all the same plants in a bed. TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How mixed are your SFG?

I usually mix them up -- not really by design, but as one thing finishes up, I'll stick something different in there. It may start out somewhat uniform, but by the end of the season, it gets pretty mixes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden blog

o

I usually try to mainly group things together based on growing needs but then I tuck onions, radishes and a flower or two in where ever they fit. So it ends up looking all mixed up. I think the main thing to remember when considering placement is the height of your plants and that they are not going to shade out others. Keep tall plants on the north side of your garden and the shorter to the south so that they all get sun.

Good gardening, Mary

o

Just started our first SFG last weekend. It's 2'x4' table top. In it now are
Back row: XXX, Touchon carrots, French breakfast radish, Romaine lettuce
Front row: XXX, scallions (seed), CA poppies, Kentucky King bush beans. The XXXs are reserved for my grandson and granddaughter. I expect these will be flowers and strawberries.

All of it good. All of it fun.

o

All mixed up, but I run longer beds by design (a 2.5x10 along a fence is my smallest, then a 4x8, 4x10, 4x12, and 4x15).

o

I have some 3' x 5' beds and a border bed that's about 3' deep. I love to mix up herbs and flowers with my vegetables. It's good for bringing in beneficials and it just looks so nice!

The best tip I got last year was putting alyssum in the garden. I plant in blocks, but I don't do the french intensive system. By putting alyssum between the veggies, it keeps the roots shaded and keeps the weeds down. The few weeds that got through were easy to pull out. Alyssum stays short and has a great fragrance. White and mixed lavenders are my favorite choices :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here