Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which 1 of my 4 tomato varieties would you put in your first SFG?

Posted by buggalinajujubee BayArea CA 9/14 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 18:33

I'm new to SFG and tomatoes.

I have a 4x4 bed, 12" deep, filled with Mel's Mix. It will have a trellis like the one in the book on the north side and I will plant 1 tomato and 1 cucumber on it.

I also have the more traditional raised bed with amended garden soil that will fit 3 tomatoes in cages and pole beans on a bamboo stick tepee.

The varieties I have ready to go are Brandywine, Watermelon Beefsteak, Yellow Pear, and Early Girl.

So since I have never grown any of these tomatoes before I can't tell you which ones I like the best and want to give the coveted SFG square to.

Suggestions?

Julie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which 1 of my 4 tomato varieties would you put in your first

Brandywine is my favorite out of those choices, but I've only grown that and Early Girl. Why not have more than just two plants on the trellis? If you're pruning to one stem like the book recommends, you should have plenty of room for 3 varieties and the cucumber if you space them out on the trellis.

o

I have never grown yellow pear (or any of the others), but my SIL did last year. She made us a h-u-g-e mixed salad that we ate on for days with all kinds of fixin's from her garden. She grew what seemed like a gazillion different tomatoes. Out of all of the ones she put in our salad, the yellow pear was our favorite. Very tasty and oh so cute !

o

I hear branywine is fantastic, but hit or miss with the yield, so if you can only do one, I may go for something more high yielding. Yellow pear is incredibly high yielding and so sweet. I'm not a cherry tomato lover, but these guys I can eat like candy.

o

You'll never keep a beefsteak or 'Brandywine' in a cage unless it is a super-duper heavy-duty cage.

Nonetheless, a recent Mother Earth News had an article that addressed this very question. That is: you should ask the locals, as climate matters. And I agree with ribbit that the yields on 'Brandywine' are sketchy. And when I lived in Sacto. 'Green Grape' produced for months and the taste when picked green-ish was different than yellow-brown-ish so it was like having two plants.

Dan

o

I would put the early girl in the SFG. It's my least faviorte of the varieties you mentioned but it is more compact then yellow pear and brandywine never heard of watermellon beefsteak but if it's like other beefstakes it will be big.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here