Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
If not 12-inch squares, better to go bigger or smaller?

Posted by Bhamster 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 18:50

I purchased some Greenland Gardener (see www.GreenlandGardender.com) raised bed kits from Sam's Club and instead of the 4x4-foot beds the SFG book recommends, I now have 40x40-inch beds. Think I should go with 16 10" squares or just divide it 3x3 with each square being about 13 inches?

The Greenland Gardener website has a "plant your own garden" feature and they show each square divided into 9 sections.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: If not 12-inch squares, better to go bigger or smaller?

Definitely 13 inches. Mine are a little bigger and I like it that way.

o

This post gave me a new perspective on SFG. The grids on several of my beds are made of lathe and are one solid grid tacked to the top of the frame for easy removal if needed.

The lathe is 1.25 inches wide. So I guess that I am not getting a true 12 inch square since the grid is taking up a few inches of space across the bed.

If you want more squares for different types of veggies stay with the 10 inches. If you are satisfied with fewer plant species go with the larger of the squares.

o

I say 13 instead of 10. When you figure your planting grids I would still use a 12 inch guide. A little extra room is better than not enough.

o

I think it really depends on what you plan on growing. If you are planning on planting a lot of different types of small plants, or are you growing larger plants.

For example, if you want to grow carrots, beets, lettuce, etc., you would be better off with the smaller squares (obviously with fewer plants than the normal recommendation) to allow easier succession planting. However, if you are planting larger plants, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes, etc. They would prefer the larger space.

Personally, I would probably use a little of both.

o

I would split it mainly into square feet (9) and then use the extra 4 inches to grow small crops that you would normally put 9 or more to a square, just plant in a single row around the two edges.

Good gardening, Mary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here