Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ultimate SFG Challenge

Posted by wordwiz (wordwiz@fuse.net) on
Wed, Mar 24, 10 at 19:06

I have ~ 44 linear feet and want to about 33 rows of pla-nts this summer in a raised/bed that will be 4' wide.

The list, one row each unless noted:
Potatoes
Tomatoes, Peppers, Corn and Herbs (2 rows each)
Eggplants
Green Beans
Peas
Spinach
Mustard
Onions
Carrots
Radishes
Kale
Broccoli
Cabbage
Turnips
Sorghum
Peanuts
Rice
Cucumber
Squash
Cotton
Celery
Yicama
Beets

though I may skip the Yicama and Cotton and them in containers.

My thinking is that if I have a great growing medium and provide enough nuits and moisture, I can keep the root veggies to no wider than what they will occupy - six inches or less for carrots, onions, radishes, turnips, beets, etc. I'll use the Florida Weave for the peppers, toms, beans, cukes, squash, Yicama and others that like to sprawl.

This is a demonstration project for a county fair, BTW.

Am I nuts or is this doable?

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ultimate SFG Challenge

I think you are the one for this job alright I know you can pull it off. Just a thought or two the peas, spinach, radish will they not have a lot of problems with fair time heat? The other thing you could think about is the three sisters with corn, pole bean and squash/pumpkin Good luck to you Mike.

Curt~

o
RE: Ultimate SFG Challenge

Curt,

I thought of the timing and heat factor. My plan is to start some things at the end of June or so, as the fair starts Aug. 10.

Another but related project will involve "brothers and sisters" so to speak. Grow root veggies in clear containers and include companion plan-ts such as potatoes, green beans and corn.

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here