Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

I hope someone can explain to me an inconsistency I see in the spacing recommendations of the All New Square Foot Gardening. I'm not new at gardening, but I'm just now reading this book. I understand the 1-4-9-16 spacings. In those, each plant gets the same amount of space front to back as side to side. While not round, as most plants grow, it's close enough to make sense to me. But then come the recommendations for individual plants - chives and dwarf basil, for example,are 2 per square foot. Where do you put those plants so that they have equal space front to back and side to side? I can only figure 12 inches front to back and 6 inches side to side, or the other way around. Peas call for 8 per sq ft, summer squash vines 3. It goes on. Can any of you experienced SF Gardeners tell me how to deal with these recommendations?

Comments (9)

• a-mazing
    13 years ago

For 2 I put one near the left top corner and one near the bottom right corner, but I'm equally as confused with 8. I was planting Sugar Snap Peas which call for 8 and I just planted 9. Made much more sense.
    Best of luck to you.

• gardener_mary
    13 years ago

Mel explained the spacing better in the original book than he did in the newer one. To plant pole peas or beans (8/sq ft) you split the square into 16 (4 x 4) like you would for radishes, but you only plant in the 2 middle rows on either side of your trellis/growing frame.
    Like this:

x x x x
    p p p p
    p p p p
    x x x x

The spacing for vining summer squash that is grown on a trellis is 3 in a 1 ft x 4 ft space (16" apart). Other summer squash are grown 1 to a 3 x 3 ft space.

I have not been able to find any vining summer squash, if you have please post the name of the variety. I would really like to try to grow some.

Good gardening, Mary

• joyousch
    13 years ago

Mary, you said that for pole beans (8/sq ft), you plant in 2 rows on either side of your trellis. Does that mean that the trellis should cross through the middle of the square? My impression from the book was that the trellis was against the outside of the box (and therefore the edge of the square), but I was wondering how that worked in practice! Placing the trellis in the middle of the square and planting on either side would make much more sense, from a gardening standpoint...provided that it works from a construction standpoint.

I haven't thought the construction part through, so maybe it's not an issue...but I haven't made my trellises yet, so I still have time to figure that out.

Thanks for the clarification!
    Joy

• keski
    13 years ago

Mary,
    I think it is territorial seed who carries a variety of vining zucchini called 'Black Hawk.' I haven't tried it. Also some gardeners say 'Trombocino' is a vining summer squash.
    Keski

• sinfonian
    13 years ago

I'm not Mary, but yes, the trellis would be best to run down the middle of the rows of peas/beans, etc. I do it all the time!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's garden adventure

• sinfonian
    13 years ago

Forgot this...

Here is a link that might be useful: SFG spacing chart explained...

• gardener_mary
    13 years ago

Hi Joy,
    Yes, I place my trellis through the middle of the sqare (6" from back of my garden), it has worked great for me for years. I hope that it works as well for you.

Hi Keski,
    Thanks you for posting those names I will look them up.

Good gardening, Mary

• nilaa
    12 years ago

In the book it says 4 bush type tomato plant per sqft, does that mean determinate type tomato plants?

Thanks

• ribsyhuggins
    12 years ago

If you planted 4 determinate tomato plants in one square foot: they would have be dwarf varieties.

Sponsored