Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant spacing

Posted by robinva 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 21, 10 at 20:05

Can anyone tell me how many to plant per square foot on any of the following plants.
Upland Cress
Mustard Greens
Cilantro
Malabar Spinach

Thanks,
Robin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant spacing

By any chance do you still have the seed packets for those ? From the FAQ's from this forum ...

This is very helpful information from Mel's website on converting standard seed spacings to sqft spacing:"Depending on the mature size of the plant, grow 1, 4, 9, or 16 equally spaced plants per square foot. If the seed packet recommends plant spacing be 12 inches apart, plant one plant per square foot. If 6 inch spacing; 4 per square foot. If 4 inch spacing; 9 per square foot. If 3 inch spacing; 16 per square foot."

o

no idea on the cress.

Mustard greens depend on the variety, but I do most at 4 or 9 a sq ft.

Cilantro would probably be 4/sq ft. I grow mine one per hole in the cinder blocks on the edge of the garlic patch since it tolerates that stressed growing space well.

Malabar spinach was a sprawling thing. I would put it on a square near a trellised plant (like pole beans) so it could use the ground space as it spilled out of its square. Can't remember the spacing, I have not planted it for a few years.

o

Your seed packets give you the ultimate size of the plant. Use those for spacing ideas, as per angela above.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here