Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Melon/Watermelon trellis?

Posted by phantom_white Tennessee (ruckus1837@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Mar 8, 07 at 20:32

I'm growing a few types of melons/watermelons this year: Hollybrook Luscious, Charentais, Eden's Gem, Schoon's Hard Shell, Chelsea, and Small Shining Light. Can any of these be grown on a trellis? I read where someone used cattle fencing to trellis their melons, I don't remember what kind of melon they were growing though. I've never trellised anything before, and my garden is not that big, so I'm trying to conserve space and fit everyhing in. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Melon/Watermelon trellis?

You can trellis any watermelon within reason - though some will argue otherwise (use common sense). Nature made the plant able to climb and hold the weight of it's fruit. Have faith in this.

There are many materials you can use but I recommend only two after years of trying everything else: cattle panel and Gardeneer Nylon Trellis Netting.

4 x 16 foot Cattle Panel runs $14 at a farm store
They can cut it for you if you need them to with bolt cutters. It will outlast you.

Trellis netting runs $7 - $13 depending on size. It has held a 55 pound melon with no problem. It should last at least five years depending on whether it is protected over the winter. Longer if treated with a UV protectant.

The cheapest way to put up trellis netting is with electric conduit piping from any home improvement store. You can make a frame with elbows for the corners (they screw into each other) because the conduit is threaded.

Then put the frame over rebar which is pounded securely into the ground or firmly attached to the bed.

Here is one with bent couduit and cattle panel:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here