Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bsntech

Rain Barrel and PVC Irrigation System Completed

bsntech
14 years ago

Hello all,

Just wanted to give you my website that shows a video that I made today.

I worked outside all day today working on the PVC irrigation system. The rain barrel system I've had finished for a while - it is 6 55-gallon drums that are connected in series by using a 2" PVC pipe underneath. It holds a total of 330 gallons of water - which fills up with about an inch of rain from our 24x24 foot garage.

I then have a "main line" made of 3/4-inch PVC pipe that runs around 110 feet from the barrels all the way to the garden beds in the front yard - with a T-connector in the line for the beds behind the house.

The video goes over everthing for the rain barrel and PVC irrigation system - and it works very well!

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Garden Blog

Comments (4)

• angela12345
    14 years ago

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• kandm
    14 years ago

That is a really nice system you have. Where did you get the barrels? Could you write up step by step instructions/parts list /price etc?

• bsntech
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kandm -

For the rain barrels - I went to a local oil shop place. Many oil shops will also top off fluids - such as windshield wiper fluid. These are the barrels I use - those that held windshield wiper fluid.

Clean them out real good.

At the top of the barrels, there are two holes - hopefully you get them with the caps. Both are 2"-size. One has coarse threads the other has fine threads. Make sure the cap with the coarse threads is on good and tight so water won't leak. You want to remove the cap that is on the fine threaded-hole. Also, if lucky, it will come with a rubber O-ring on the cap. Keep that as you will need it.

Now, you need to get a 2" PVC male-threaded adapter to fit into that hole. Use the O-ring. You then need to either get 90-degree elbows (if only connecting two barrels) or you will need to also get T-connectors (if hooking up more than two). You'll run a 2" PVC pipe to connect the barrels.

Use PVC cement to glue all the parts together. You'll have your 2" male-threaded adapter, then cut a little piece of 2" PVC pipe to put between the male-threaded adapter and either the 90-degree elbow piece or the T-connector.

I would also recommend getting a 2" PVC union. They are expensive at about $8 each, but this will allow you to take the barrels apart from one another if you need to store them.

The top of the barrels with the holes will effectively become the bottom - so you turn them upside down. The water will flow in from the bottom (top now) of the barrels by a gutter. You'll need to cut a hole in the top of the main barrel that will receive this flow. All of the other barrels need to have an air hole drilled in them as well (opposite side of the two big holes, of course!). This allows the air to escape as the barrels fill up in unison.

You can then cut a hole in your main barrel that will receive your flow on the side at the top - for overflow. This way if all of your barrels get full, the overflow allows the water to flow out correctly.

Then - you need a method for delivering the water. I had to basically make a custom piece for this. I used a 1/2-inch drill bit and drilled a hole right in the side of the 2" PVC 90-degree elbow. I then used a 1/2-inch male threaded adapter and threaded it into this hole - and used a lot of cement to ensure it was water-leak free. This way you can then connect a 1/2-inch PVC pipe to this adapter and send it down to a faucet or irrigation pipe.

I have two other videos that detail everything about the barrels on YouTube. My YouTube name is 'bsntechdotcom' so search for me on there and look at the other two videos.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• bsntech
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is a direct link to all of my YouTube videos. I have some wine-making stuff on there and the rain barrel/irrigation videos.

Might be just a bit easier :)

Here is a link that might be useful: bsntechdotcom's YouTube Channel