Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbean08_gw

Worms!!

greenbean08_gw
15 years ago

I was outdoors enjoying the nice weather today, filling one of my new garden beds. I wanted to "seed" the bed with some worms and I reached into one of my older beds to grab a handful of material (and hopefully some worms).

I got a whopper of a handful this time! Check out these babies!

From Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

Apparently worms like squash. This is part of a squash (one of several) I buried in the bed in the fall.

This is more like what I was expecting to find in my handful...

Comments (11)

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

WOW! I'd better start burying squash! I cleaned up some of my beds today, and I did see a few worms (and lots of partially decomposed newspaper from bottom liners and paper pots), but certainly nothing like that! I guess I should go out with a flashlight and see if I have night crawlers.

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Man! I think i'm gonna bury my squash, too! Well....maybe a couple. Heh.

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Makes me wish I hadn't lined my beds with worm stopping landscape fabric. Hehe. Amazing!

• jbest123
    15 years ago

Amy I suspect that your vegies are going to do great this year. My worms went south for the winter and are just coming back now. I have to shred the pumpkins and squash so it gets distributed through the compost because of the moles.:o(

John

Here is a link that might be useful: Johns Journal

• pthomas453
    15 years ago

That is impressive greenbean.

A question for you, do you have any weed fabric on the underside of your bed?

I am planning on making my first SFG beds shortly and was planning on putting fabric down to keep the grass out but wont this keep the worms out as well?

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's funny, I don't think I've ever been so happy to see worms as I've been with this garden! I've always tried not to kill them and I knew they were good but I think I have learned so much more about soil life this past year, I have a greater appreciation for the little guys.

I don't have fabric under my beds. I'm actually removing the landscape fabric from under the mulch in my paths too. I've recently found a lot of worms that seem to be wound up in the fibers. I want them to be able to move freely throughout the area.

Last year, I put a thin paper layer (I didn't have much newspaper at the time) under the beds and this year I'm using a thicker paper layer under the new ones because I have it. There was not much growing where I put the garden that needed smothering. I probably could have gotten away with just filling the boxes with nothing underneath.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• pthomas453
    15 years ago

No fabric? I have crabgrass in the area where I will plant so I will probably use the fabric. I ordered Mels's book and perhaps he elaborates more on this.

I think I will add worms to the mix.

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I don't know why but I added worms to my mels mix and most if not all died. Maybe it was the worms, but I haven't tried again to add them. And with my fabric and gravel lining, none are getting in on their own.

• greenbean08_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can't say for sure, but I would think unless you're dealing with something like Bermuda grass, if you put down a thick layer of newspaper or cardboard, it should smother the grass underneath. You could ask on the soil & compost forum if anyone has experience with crabgrass under their lasagna garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

I have crabgrass, and the fabric stopped it from entering my garden.

EG

• lawncheney
    15 years ago

I used cardboard to put in mine last year, and it stopped the grass from coming up. I had a few persistent buggers that came up, but they were easy to pull out... maybe 5 or 6 per 4x4.

I moved the squares several feet last night to make a 4x8 out of them, and there was no sign of grass or cardboard... just a couple strands of packing tape. I think cardboard is the way to go.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists