Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to SFG - would love feedback on my plan

Posted by goldenretriever51 6B VA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 21:25

I'm starting my first raised bed square foot garden this year with a single 4x4 raised bed. Here is my plan for what to grow where - does this look like a reasonable plan or a mess? For the tomatoes I have some tomato cages to support them so they don't need to be near each other. I will probably grow two cherry tomato plants and one regular size tomato plant.

Row 1 - tomato, lettuce, swiss chard, tomato
Row 2 - beets, bush beans, swiss chard, beets
Row 3 - beets, radishes, peas, spinach
Row 4 - tomato, lettuce, bush beans, spinach

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to SFG - would love feedback on my plan

Your tomatoes will be verrrry tall, even the cherry types, so you need to have them along the outer north row so they can't shade anything.
Are your peas bush peas? They do have them I know because I got some this year. If they are vining types, again, they need to go along the outer row with the tomatoes so they don't shade your other crops.
In other words, use your north outer row for all your tall vining crops.
When your other crops need shade, you can cover them with double layers of cheesecloth over wire clothes hangers formed into a curve over them to extend their season, the lettuce, spinach and radishes especially, which will go to seed in the heat eventually.
Good luck and enjoy it. I began in 2009 and so look forward to the new season each year. I learn something new all the time.

o
RE: New to SFG - would love feedback on my plan

Ah, thank you, that is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. By happenstance two of the tomato plants are on the north side but one is on the south, so I'll move or abandon that one. I am not sure what type of peas but if they are vining ones I'll move them too. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here