Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aprilshomemade_gw

Bottom for SFG boxes

aprilshomemade
15 years ago

Hello again :-)

I had bought OSB (chip board) to use for the bottom of my SFG boxes, but then realized this material might contain harmful chemicals that I don't want in my soil. The main reason for using a bottom was to keep the awful crabgrass away from my veggies since it took over last year. I also plan on putting the boxes up off the ground with a few bricks.

The husband and myself have been discussing what to do. Does the weed blocker material really work and would it keep the crabgrass from invading my SFG? I have planned on 4 - 4x4 boxes and 2 - 2x4 boxes and also made one 4x4 box on legs for the MIL (using the chip board for a bottom). We're trying to keep expenses down and have already cut the OSB to size, so we can't return it (I might be able to sell it on craigslist...maybe).

Any ideas, recommendations?

thx,

April in Owasso, OK

Comments (8)

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Seal'em with several coats of a latex paint. No more problem.

• rj_hythloday
    15 years ago

I'm using soil for the bottom of my sfg boxes.

• marymilkweed
    15 years ago

I would leave the bottom of your boxes open and use a couple of layers of cardboard boxes opened up flat. The cardboard will suffocate anything under it long before the cardboard breaks down. Wouldn't you have a drainage problem with a solid bottom? Also, termites are drawn to pressed board here in the South. Just my 2-cents.

Mary

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Hmm, OSB rots fast without any help, I fear adding wet soil to both sides will be not so good, especially if chemicals are involved.
    I agree with the cardboard to smother. Maybe a layer of cardboard under landscape fabric would work to smother the existing stuff and keep any new grass from growing up.

Good luck.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    15 years ago

You'll want to try at least two layers of weed block. IME the woven papery stuff works best, not the petrochemical. I'd put a layer of cardboard over the two layers as well. And kill the crabgrass outside the boxes too. My 2¢.

Dan

• aprilshomemade
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We put 1/4in drainage holes in the OSB for the bottom (like picture on pg 58 in All New SFG book) and had planned on setting it up on bricks to keep off the ground. The sides of the boxes are just regular 2x6 untreated wood and are painted white on the outside as well as the top of the grids too (no painted part will touch soil).

I hadn't thought about termite issues and having wood boxes...duh! The shed had em about 6 years when we purchased this house.

I like the cardboard and newspaper ideas, but the husband has spent a lot of time getting the boxes ready and I know he'll be upset when I tell him to not use the bottoms. Also, I just took all the excess cardboard to the recycle center a few weeks ago...so it'll take another 1-2 months to accumulate enough to cover :-(

I was thinking maybe covering the OSB on the bottom w/some plastic sheeting (like a tarp but see through) and securing it with a staple gun around each drainage hole? I noticed in the FAQ for SFG that some use the plastic to line the sides of the boxes too so that the wood lasts longer so that made me think about using it for the bottom.

What do you all think about plastic sheeting covering the OSB bottom (where it would touch soil)?

April

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

How about Foam Tex? We covered OSB with this to replace old skirting on a mobile home, then the dirt was pushed up to cover it. The photo is upside down so you can read it, the mobile home is actually right side up ;-)

{{gwi:1266434}}

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• crankshaft1024
    15 years ago

I have a SFG box made of 2x10 and plywood that is off the ground. I lined the box with 6mil poly. poly is the plastic sheets that they sell in lumber yards to vapor sealing houses. You can buy it by the foot. I stapled it to the bottom and sides of the box(inside of course). I drilled a few drain holes in the bottom. Works great, and keeps the wood from rotting too fast.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County