Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sfg_oakhurst

The Official Site of Square Foot Gardening Launch

sfg_oakhurst
15 years ago

The Official square foot gardening site has gotten a complete makeover. New store, great FAQ, and new ways to show off your garden. Have a look:

http://www.squarefootgardening.com

Comments (17)

• newdadinky
    15 years ago

Looks the same to me. But it does need a makeover.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Um.....there's no difference. This forum is a whole lot more valuable than Mel's site, in my opinion.

EG

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

It's updated, but not anything to rave about. Honestly, the latest version of the book sucks compared to the older version. There is so much information missing from the "all new" book, that I sold it at the half price book store.

• solarity
    15 years ago

Wow! The site looks so much better than before. Hopefully the content is improved as well. I was pretty disappointed in the site a year ago when I first became familiar with the concept, the design was archaic.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

jleiwig - One of my friends let me borrow his copy of the old book the other day, and it is so much better than the new one.....Dangit, I wish I would have picked that one up, instead of the new one.

EG

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

Ok, for that, I'm going back to half price books. They had the original last time I looked. Hehe though I have little problem with the new book. But the site pales in comparison to this site, or even our blogs!

• luke3026
    15 years ago

I found the original book on Abebooks.com for $1 (plus $3 shipping) a couple months ago. Keep looking around and I'm sure you'll find a used copy someplace.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

I saw some on amazon.com for a good price. I plan on getting it once the ground starts thawing out. I was going to buy the new one but after this post I think I'll just order the old one instead.

• jleiwig
    15 years ago

Posted by floodthelast 5 N. OH (My Page) on Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 11:09

I saw some on amazon.com for a good price. I plan on getting it once the ground starts thawing out. I was going to buy the new one but after this post I think I'll just order the old one instead.

Definitely get the older one. I think the one I got from the library was from the 90s. The sections on succession planting and planting timelines were very good. I had an AH HA moment reading them. I scanned them and saved them on my computer for future refrence.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

"With a very visible grid, your garden takes on a unique character. It will not only look spectacular, but youÂll be able to visualize your planting squares. Without a grid, your garden is nothing."

Personally, I found this insulting. I don't have, or claim to have a "true" SFG and comments like that will certainly not convert me. I sent an email through the contact option on the site a couple days ago, and have not received a reply.

• ribbit32004
    15 years ago

I'm sure he has to do this to make sure his methods are unique to him and not just any other method of intensive gardening that someone else has laid claim to. I bet that's the only way he can guarantee a trade mark (or whatever it would be called) to claim his idea is wholy new and different from other ideas that have been proposed.

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

Greenbean, I agree with your statement...I also find it insulting. I seldom use grids, and my garden is anything BUT nothing!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Granny, you could always take a few of your purses, cut the bottom out of each - then use them as a spacer. Hey, at least you wouldn't lose them...Ha!

• anniesgranny
    15 years ago

EG, you are such a POOPYHEAD!

Granny

Here is a link that might be useful: Annie's Kitchen Garden

• snibb
    15 years ago

When Mel says that, a lot of it is tongue in cheek. He has seen, as we all probably have, a lot of people go through the effort of putting together a great SFG only to see them out there planting on those same old "rows" again. The grid really discourages that, hence the encouragement to use the grid. It also is a way for the foundation to make some extra money for some of the humanitarian things it does around the world.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

There are other words one could choose to encourage use of the grids. I'm not knocking the grids, but if he's using the website to get more people to follow his ways, he should choose better wording.

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

Thanks, Granny! You always know how to brighten my day....Hee Hee

Speaking of grids....I removed all of my strings today, since a few of them broke from the protective covering I installed over the cole crop a couple of weeks ago. Everything looks like it is planted in a row now, but at least the spacings are correct.

EG

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor