Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please critique my SFG plan

Posted by elb2012 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 31, 09 at 21:49

This will be my first year with SFG and I'm still a little tentative about where to place what. Would anyone be willing to critique my plan? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Each plant is a square and each squash and determinate tomato takes up 2 spaces (except the romas...going to try to squeeze them in). First bed is 4x8 and the second is 6x6.

There will be trellises between the last and second to last rows of the 6x6 box as well as along the left=hand side.

Rosemary Thyme Parsley Carrot
Sage Cilantro Oregano Carrot
Cayenne Cayenne Scallion Scallion
Banana Pepper x 3 Jalapeno
Bell pep. Bell Bell Jalapeno
Determinate Tom. Roma Roma
Determinate Determinate
Bush Bean x 4

Squash Bush Beans Bush Beans Squash
Determinate Strawberry Straw Straw Straw
Indeterm. Basil Cuke Cuke Sqaush
Indeterm. Basil Cuke Cuke Squash
Pole Beans Indet Grape Tom. Grape Tom. Indet Pole Beans
Cantaloupe Cuke Indet. Indet. Cuke Cantaloupe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please critique my SFG plan

elb - your layout is really difficult to translate, because of the format. You'll get tons of suggestions if you sketch something on paper, then scan it as a photo.

EG

o

I haven't tried SFG gardening yet, but I don't think genetics will change with SFG, if you plant Hot peppers next to Sweet bell peppers they will cross polinate and you will get mild hot peppers and Hot Bell peppers.

o

1st thing - NEVER make the bed wider than 4ft. Unless of course, YOU can reach to the middle of it w/o stepping into the bed. In fact, if you are short you probably should make it less than 4ft wide. 2 or 3ft beds are not uncommon, even 1ft if you want access to everything.

2nd Always indicate where North is. w/o knowing which way is north it is only guessing to comment.

The pepper thing is only if you will be saving seed, then you can hand pollinate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Square Foot Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here