Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tishtoshnm

Strawberry bed depth

My SFG is relocating, again. I have not been found of the 6 inch deep beds for most things. However, can you more experienced strawberry growers tell me if 6 inches is adequate for strawberries. I found strawberry roots at Lowe's and Wal-Mart and so now I need to construct 4 beds, but I need to do it cheap.

Thank you for any information.

Comments (7)

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you. All boxes will have chicken wire under them to deter gophers so that will allow adequate drainage.

• jengc
    14 years ago

I have a strawberry box that is 6 inches and they did beautifully. I bought a package from walmart that had 10 plants in it I believe. I have a 4x4 box FILLED with strawberries. They multiplied like crazy! I didnt have hardly any strawberries, but they say that is normal and this year, if I keep the runners down, then I will get bunches of strawberries this year.

I have a strawberry question though. I didnt do anything to them over the winter. I know, bad Jen. but there were many leaves in the bed. I dont have very many green leaves in there, but there are some. Have I killed most of them by not putting straw or something like that, or is it normal for them to go brown and they will come back?

Thanks!!

• daylilyfanatic4
    14 years ago

They should come back if it didn't get to cold. My strawberries are fine in zone 6 with only a little mulch.

• bsntech
    14 years ago

Just to chime in here - I made two 4x4 strawberry pyramids out of treated wood. I dug up all the sod underneath and then put down landscape fabric under that. I have a 1x4-inch board around the perimeter sunk into the ground and then a 1x6-inch board right on top of it. So overall, the strawberries in the bed I made have 10 inches minimum.

This works very well and no complaints. Six inches is probably enough as well, but I added the extra four inches as insurance since I went to all the work.

Here is a link that might be useful: BsnTech Gardening Blog

• sarahrose
    14 years ago

I have a 4x8 bed of strawberries with concrete blocks around it. I really like the concrete blocks so I can sit while picking the berries.

With chicken wire in the bottom, a 6" depth should be just fine.

I'm planning to make my bed more narrow; because, although I can reach to the middle with one hand, I cannot with two.

I didn't mulch mine the winter before last and they were fine. Am hoping they will be fine after this last winter also.

Sarah

• HU-836461159
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

what do you put over the chicken wire? charlesnichols1944@gmail.com

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County