Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deerlake_gw

Trellises

deerlake
14 years ago

I'm planning on buying electrical conduit to build my trellises. Plus purchase trellis netting to use in my SFG. What is the best trellis height for tomatoes? For pole beans? For peas?.

Thanks,

Comments (13)

• angela12345
    14 years ago

No higher than you will be able to reach. Mine is a little over 5 foot.

Last year, my cucumber got up to the top, I wrapped it over the top and forced it to grow back down, and it grew back up to the top again, so in all it was about 15 feet. Only a few of my tomatoes grew over the top and I just let them hang up in the air at that point. My tomatoes were all indeterminate varieties, not determinate. This will be my first year with peas and beans, but if they get taller than my trellis I plan to do the same thing I did with my cukes.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

My trellises now have cattle panel or remesh on them, after years of doing the string thing. So glad I did it. 1/2 in conduit holds the cattle panel too.

Dan

• catalinagrey
    14 years ago

Last year I did 8 feet this year I'm doing 10 foot with a few 12 foot ones.
    I have a ladder. LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• Ray Scheel
    14 years ago

I will mention that after leaning on a trellis post last week, I have determined the lifespan of a landscape timber sunk into the ground as a post has a lifespan of about 9 years before it rots off at ground level and falls over with a push...

• paully1
    14 years ago

I used ten foot pieces of EMT conduit at cut them in half. Then I used a bender to bend down ninety degrees at each end. Then a simple inline set-screw connector on each side makes the whole thing five and a half feet tall. They worked out really well. I think that was tall enough.

In the book Mel suggests using set-screw corner connectors to join the pieces together, but those corner connectors were so expensive, it was cheaper for me to invest in the bender. Since the bender is a sunk cost, I have been looking for ways to use it more. This year I made some nice new trellises to give to my gardening sister on her birthday!

• ribbit32004
    14 years ago

Ray, I'm busting a gut laughing. I can just see you standing there thinking, "Well, that broke easily."

14 years ago

We also have a conduit bender and as paully stated it is much cheaper than 90º elbows. It also allows you to be a little creative, as our daughter wanted one in her own personal garden:

{{gwi:1266510}}

Mom and daughter are going out today to pick spray paint colors. The mesh is ~US$8.00 at HD, the conduit was ~$4.00 total, and the 3/8" x 2' rebar was ~$3.00 for 2 pcs. This would be a nice gift for less than US$20.00, not including paint.

That is a 4' x '2 bed, so would work well in a 4x4 box such as what many people do here, with minimal cutting on the mesh, a 90º bend at top and 45º bends at sides, easily done on a good bender with leveling bubbles. The only task is to figure your length before the 45º bends for the total width, or for much wider trellisi how many degrees to take off the top bend to gain width.

Dan

• angela12345
    14 years ago

dan, what a nice looking trellis !!

• curt_grow
    14 years ago

O.K. Dan;
    Tell me with two sides for shade how many hours of sun are you looking at. I know you have an answer, "Oh Sunny One" thanks.

Curt :-)

14 years ago

It's a half day of sun and most of the top of the box is in sun from about May 1-frost, just longer than our frost-free season and just long enuf for the first-grader to get a taste for flowers. Might put a currant in there when she's over it.

Thank you Angela.

Dan

• paully1
    14 years ago

Dan, that is a super looking trellis. How tall is it at the peak?

You know that I am still super jealous about how cheap the conduit and other supplies are there vs. here in Canuckistan....

14 years ago

Paully, thank you, it is 82" at peak and 64" at the shoulders.

I just bent {{gwi:117813}} too, because of the price right now.

Dan

• Ray Scheel
    14 years ago

Ribbit: The other Landscape timber post was in a bit better shape, but still nearly broke before I managed to pull it out of the ground. Luckily the frame of the trellis was sturdy enough that what was left of the other pole kept it up enough that I didn't fall down.

I have since been scouting through the timbered portion of my property collecting Post Oak trunks that are fencepost size, and have moved up the priority list my thoughts of getting more cedar and/or Bois d'Arc (Osage Orance / Horseapple) planted to have my own fencepost patch.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH